Any Other Arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dbzxenaman, Apr 29, 2012.

1. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Gosh, everyone's so artsy here. I'm just teaching myself how to draw. I've got a long way to go, but I hope to be able to make comics one day, for all those pesky little stories I have that just won't work in plain old writing.

2. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

I used to play piano, guitar, and draw on scratchboards as well as make tattoo designs for people. And draw art for online sites. But now I just write.

3. C.B Harrington

C.B Harrington New Member

Piano guitar and bass guitar. I've always wanted to learn how to paint but just can't convince myself to spend money on paint that isn't edible and meant for the body.

4. Lazy

Lazy Banned

I'm teaching myself to draw as well. I'm very bad at it.

5. Kay Lesgo

Kay Lesgo New Member

Drummer

6. Lazy

Lazy Banned

Lots of musicians here, maybe we should make an e-band.

7. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Yes: film, photography and 3D nail art.

8. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I have a classical vocal performance degree. I play piano, but not that well. I'm no Mike Schmid (my friend who plays for Miley Cyrus and does various television background tracts). I started taking guitar in January and just moved to the second book. I also tried teaching myself violin. My violin is pink, but I haven't quite figured out how to make her sing.

1 person likes this.
  9. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

If I had a skill that I could be proud of, it would be the study and practice of polishing using Japanese waterstones.

It's a discipline like golf or playing Bridge. Fives minutes to explain, but a lifetime to master.

Like writing or riding, polishing an edge takes time, and care. It quiets the mind chatter. Not many people do it, and there's a very good reason why.

While I want my work to be useful, I do get a warm fuzzy when people say that these edges are too pretty to use.

10. Erato

Erato New Member

I sew.

You might say, "That's not an art." I disagree. A lot of people sew, and it always vaguely annoys me when people say, "I've done a little sewing," because probably they just took a home ec course in high school and made a pillowcase or a skirt out of a scarf or a stuffed animal from a kit or something and never gave it another thought. Sewing is a far larger and more interesting field than some people seem to imagine. When I say, "I sew," what I mean is, I design clothing and make patterns and construct a garment to the best of my abilities. (Last time I bought a pattern, I was twelve. I find store patterns too limiting and not a good enough fit.)

I do martial arts. It's called an art for a reason. Surely there is as much beauty as power in a flying side kick.

I also draw. It's not a thing I do often, nor am I especially good at it, because I've never met anyone with the skill to teach drawing. If I ever did, that would be awesome.

Latin? I call that an art.

It seems like a lot of people here do music, or visual arts. I wonder how one would go about writing a piece of music to reflect the story of something they've written? Now here's a story I'd like to write - one where the characters are singers in an opera, but they actually realize that they're on stage, and that they're showing the audience the story - but the story is real for them, and they take it for granted that they're part of the story. "A playful tune came from the pit, signaling the approach of Patience. We retired upstage and concealed ourselves behind a section of stone wall." A fun twist on reality.

1 person likes this.
  11. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I can't sew anything more than basic window treatments without a pattern, but I embellish most patterns and alter them, so I see what you are saying. I also designed my wedding dress and thrust it on my mother, if that counts for anything LOL. We used patterns to get the initial fit and shape and moved on rapidly from there.

Regarding your story? Isn't Phantom of the Opera sort of like that? ;)

12. Erato

Erato New Member

(Sure that counts!) I've never actually seen/heard/whatevered Phantom of the Opera, but I probably should at some point.

13. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

I boxed for a few years and I trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about one year. I also used to draw all the time and write lyrics for hip hop songs, but not much anymore.

14. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

You should look it up. Perhaps only the Phantom is the one that believes it is all real, but none the less, it's worth a read...and read it. Definitely read it before you see the play.

15. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

i do computer generated imaging (CGI for those in the know) also do allot of photography. Im also a trained carpenter and have made pretty much all the furniture in my house :).