1. Maxitoutwriter

Maxitoutwriter Member

Any Other Lord Of The Rings Fans?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Maxitoutwriter, Aug 22, 2012.

I'm a gigantic fan of the whole trilogy and have been since my mom started me off watching the cartoon movie "The Hobbit." I enjoy this series so much that sometimes I wish I was a character in the Lord Of The Rings.

I was curious if anyone else was a fan of Lord of the Rings.

I still have not read the entire trilogy(Oddly enough), but I'm up to the middle part in the fellowship of the ring, and I have read "The Hobbit" several times(Also oddly enough). However, I have seen ALL of the movies including all the cartoon versions.

The difference that I have noticed between the books and the movies is that the movies tend dramatize certain scenes or change the story slightly.

If you are a fan, I have a few questions for you.

1.) Who was your favorite character and why.

My favorite character has shifted more than a couple different times. I have liked Pippin, Legolas, Gandalf and Aragorn. Although lately it has been Aragorn. I like him because of how courageous he is, and if I had to choose a character to be, then I think I would be Aragorn any day.

2.) What was your favorite part?

I have always liked the Mines of Moria part the best. Something about that part always gives me the shivers, but I like it so much because there is so much mystery and danger in that part. Nowhere else have I felt as tense.

3.) What is you favorite part of the trilogy?

I like the fellowship of the ring because they were all together at this part of the book. It also includes the Mines of Moria which is my favorite part of the trilogy.

4.) Why do you like the trilogy?

I would say that it is partly because I grew up with it. It just seems like a classic, and thanks to the hobbit movie I always had this dream of building my own dungeon(Like the wood elf dungeon).

5.) What was you favorite song in the movie "The Hobbit" if you saw it?

The thing I loved about "The Hobbit" movie was their OUTSTANDING musical tracks. I enjoyed just about every one of the tracks, but I think I liked, "The greatest adventure" the most. I'm a huge fan of music with a powerful and meaningful message, and I like how that song seems to describe the meaning of life.

Anyway, that is what I have to say about Lord of the Rings. I was just curious if there were any other Lord of the Rings fans out there.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I have a bit if a mixed relationship with Lord of the Rings, at times I love it, usually when I'm blinded by nostalgia, other times, got to admit, I just don't care about it. The Hobbit is a book I like, but I read it as a child, and Lord of the Rings as a very early teen. I recently re-read the entire series, starting with The Hobbit and going right through Lord of the Rings, and one of the things that bothered me the entire time is that J.R.R.'s writing really wasn't that amazing. It's actually very very simple, and kind of hocky, and had nothing of the poetry in the prose like I thought I remembered. The poems themselves in the text are ... fun, but a lot of the time they largely serve no purpose other than to give Middle Earth itself a bit more vitality. But that was really the point of everything wasn't it.

Also, thinking back on the books I'm struck by how unmemorable some of the characters are, Legolas and Gimli are almost one character in my head, Arwin didn't do anything, and Merry and Pippen do not have a good place in my mind either. The most interesting character for me was always Biblo, because he starts out idealistic and new to the road in The Hobbit, and turns corrupted and sinister in Rings as he is getting very old, his is a great character arc and a very well fleshed-out character.

So to answer your questions:

1)
    Biblo, for the character arc, or Aragon, because he was rather cool.

2)
    Moria, the tension was very well handled I thought, or the bit in Shelob's lair, which was also really good.

3)
    Fellowship of the Ring. I like how natural that book feels, and I like the sense of nature that book gives. It stuck with me a long time because of that, and I really like the simple journey they have in the first part. It's the most fun part of the series anyway.

4)
    Nostalgia is one hell of a drug. It was a big part of my childhood, and the imagery is something that can still captivate me. I'm not a great lover of fantasy, but I think I can see why people are.

5)
    Don't care. Never watched any adaptation of The Hobbit. Tolkien is, to borrow from T.S. Eliot a bit to make myself clear, a great versifier but not a very good poet. He could write a nice song, be it a silly comedic song or a dirge, he was fairly competent at that, and if that's all you are interested in then that is fine. But a 'poet', an artist with words Tolkien was not.

3. ENJOY

ENJOY Member

Gandalf just because when my dad read it to me he used to put this deep wise voice on and it stuck in my memory

Either the part when Gandalf charged and drive back the Nazguls or the battle between Gandalf and Saruman

The return of the King

4.) Why do you like the trilogy

It was my Dads favourite books so I was read it when I was a child

I have never watched "The Hobbit" but my favourite song associated with the movies is the one Pippin sings to the Steward Denethor the second as Faramir and the gondor cavalry charged the orcs.

4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Aragorn. Hands down. But... Gandolf was quite amazing as well, and Faramir (in the book)

Helms Deep.

The Two Towers. Some much happened in that book. Rohan, Fangorn forest, Helms deep, the return of Gandolf!

4.) Why do you like the trilogy?

It is an epic. The writing, the characters, everything is awesome. Also, i have memories of long summer nights when my mom read it out loud to us. She read the whole trilogy out loud over a summer.

Never saw the Hobbit, but i loved the orchestration at the very end of return of the kind, its so triumphant!