Any other six stringers here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wolfi, Dec 6, 2010.

1. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I taught myself the guitar when I was in college (back in the 1840s). I played mostly folk, some blues and some soft rock. I also have a 12 string. Haven't played much lately, but every once in a while I have the urge.

2. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I play guitar, bass and some piano/keyboard.

Been playing guitar half my life, and started writing songs at 13. :)

Mostly seem to play semi-acoustic these days.

3. wolfi

wolfi New Member

really? would never guess you had a guitar
    :p

but thats good

I don't like semi acoustic
    don't ask me why
    I either need an electric or a Acoustic

what kind you got?
    (i cant tell form the pic)

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I've been playing guitar for thirty-seven years. I started with folk-rock and rock, then I got into jazz, found I didn't have the chops for that, went back to rock, mostly roots-rock, then eventually back to folk. I have five guitars (two of which are in Toronto with my sister). Right now I mostly play six-string acoustic, but I have a twelve-string acoustic (my favorite instrument in the whole world) and a Stratocaster for wailing on when I'm in the mood. I find that the older I get, the more I consider myself a singer rather than an instrumentalist. Strange.

I've written a fair amount of music, but I'm lousy at lyrics. I haven't perfected anything enough to record yet, though.

5. DSR

DSR New Member

I've been playing for 3 years now. I started out by learning Bob Dylan songs and simple chords and eventually started playing harder bits. Haven't really been able to play much in the last few months because of my studies, so I mostly just mess around with chords and pentatonic scales, or play old songs I already know. The last one I learned was Classical Gas, took me the WHOLE summer to get that piece down, bit by bit.

And my favourite genres to play are folk-rock, bluegrass, and the blues when I'm just doing free-style stuff.

6. VM80

Got more than one, to cover all bases - electric, acoustic & semi.

The one in the picture is a Tanglewood. Lovely guitar. :)

7. VM80

I started with Dylan as well.

My dad showed me the chords to "Blowing in the wind" and the rest is history.

8. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

Hey I'm a guitarist. I play anything from blues to Power metal (though if your American then you won't be too familiar with that style as it is predominantly European ;) )
    I'm self taught and I hate institutionalised music (learning from a teacher, learning technical things for the sake of it ... etc).

I spend 95% (slightly exaggerated) of my free time writing/recording but I have a lot to learn... Which is what I love about music, the learning curve is as steep as you want it to be and it's never ending.

9. Screams of Silence

Screams of Silence New Member

I'm American and I love power metal :)

I'm self taught too. I do agree it's the best way to go, but I have a friend who's got a musical education and it can be pretty cool to know that stuff. But I'm with you, self taught is best.

There is nothing you can learn from a teacher that you can't learn yourself.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I do play guitar, but I've been neglecting it lately which is depressing.

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The first song for which I learned the chords was Dylan's "Masters of War". Just Em and D, which also made it a great song to learn to play and sing at the same time.

Someone mentioned acoustic-electrics. My six-string is an acoustic-electric Ovation, and I really like it because I can vary the sound and add a little reverb and still keep an acoustic-like ambience.

12. Screams of Silence

Screams of Silence New Member

^Sweet

The first song I ever learned was a Godsmack song, I can't even remember which one it was. Needless to say I quickly graduated to more complex stuff. Just recently finished learning "The Death of Love" by Cradle of Filth. Very fun to play.