1. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Fantasy book recommendations, please

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Elven Candy, Jan 28, 2016.

I'm currently writing a fantasy book about a girl and a dragon. The book has NO magic, and the dragon cannot speak to humans, although he is human intelligent. Many times I've seen people recommend an author read other books in their genre, and I would LOVE to read more fantasy books with dragons and/or knights (I'm planning a book about a knight), but I have a bit of a dilemma: I am very picky. I need recommendations from people who've read more books than I have!

What I don't want to read:

MAGIC - I don't care for magic, although I do like super powers and natural powers, like people who can walk on water or move stuff with their minds (I enjoyed Avatar: the Last Airbender). I can enjoy some magic in a book, more if there are no magic words or wands. Most fantasy stories I find either center around magic, or have magic as a central piece of the story. Potion brewing is basically just chemistry, so I'm OK with that. I've read and enjoyed "Lord of the Rings," and I LOVE "The Two Princesses of Bamarre." I also read the first book of the Narnia series, but that was a long time ago and I've never been tempted to read it again, which probably means I found it a little boring.

"STEAMY" RELATIONSHIPS - I like a good romance, but "steamy" just isn't my thing.

HOMOSEXUALITY - Again, it just isn't my thing.

SLOW MOVING - Lord of the Rings was enjoyable . . . the first time. I have yet to convince myself into rereading it--it's just too slow moving! The descriptions are difficult to get through, too. A few descriptions here and there are handy and enjoyable, but a book full of them gets really boring really fast and I end up skipping all the descriptions and sometimes stop reading altogether.

TRAGIC/SAD ENDING - I hate Romeo and Juliet and Titanic; I find no romance in them at all. I read books to enjoy a happy ending, and if a book has a tragic or sad ending, I want to burn it. Unless you really think it'll help me with my writing, please don't recommend any books with a tragic or sad ending (and if you do recommend one, please warn me!).

What I do want to read:

DRAGONS - Seriously, I love dragons. I'd especially love to read some books where the dragons have to communicate without talking, because I'm REALLY struggling with this!

FEY/MADE-UP BEASTS AND PEOPLE - I really enjoy fairies, elves, griffins, and other made-up creatures/peoples. I also love made-up cultures, although too much detail puts me to sleep. One of the things that makes fantasy so awesome is that authors can make up whatever monsters and people they want!

KNIGHTS - I've never been fond of knight stories, but I have a growing interest in them now, especially since I'm planning to write a book about one.

GOOD AND POORLY WRITTEN - I'm trying to learn how to write. I can read about point-of-view and poor vs. good writing all day, but I won't fully understand it without examples. If you can tell me the author's strengths and weaknesses in the books you recommend, I'd really appreciate it!

2. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Why would you deny brilliant classics like Frankenstein, Macbeth or 1984 just because they end badly?

I'd have recommended Discworld or Game of Thrones, the only good fantasies I've ever read outside of Lord of the Rings, but they contain everything you don't want and nothing you do want.

3. Elven Candy

I would deny such "brilliant classics" because I very much dislike unhappy endings. Everyone has their preferences!

I appreciate your willingness to read my thread and actually consider my requests, even though it means I didn't get any new recommendations! At least now I know two things to avoid, so you still gave me some helpful information :)

4. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

A Song Of Ice And Fire (Game Of Thrones) is something that a fantasy fan shouldn't overlook, regardless its mild amount of homosexuality and some magic. Frankly, the magic in it is in 'small scale' and done differently than "words and wands". Though it is extremely long story, but for me, it never came out as slow moving. Just so long.

"The Witcher" by polish Andrzej Sapkowski. I recommend that one, lets see according to "your features":
    - there is some magic, but not in extreme amounts. Also, its written rather excitingly.
    - there is romance, but in a very good amount. Not overcomplicated or dramatic at all (also, homosexuality isn't a theme)
    - far from slow moving. Writing is quite light and moves on pretty quickly.
    - ending, well... I refuse to say is it good or bad. It's extremely subjective. Neither, I would say.
    - no dragons
    - huge amount of monsters, some elves and dwarves among shitty humans.
    - no knights that would matter or be followed

The Witcher -series is one of my favourites. I read it in english, so its hard to say is it well or badly written (the original I mean). Don't know how good of a job the translator did. It's good stuff and keeps you at it, but there were moments where I had a thought like "damn translator failed here".

It's price range should be good too! I paid 15 euros per book and all of them had 18$ price tag printed on them as well.

zoupskim likes this.
  5. Elven Candy

Thanks Iilarida, I'll definitely check out "The Witcher." The homosexuality is a religious issue for me, so that's the one thing I won't compromise on, period. I appreciate y'all's understanding!

6. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

There are still religions that unfairly discriminate homosexuals?

7. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

What religion doesn't? Christian church fights against equal wedding rights of homosexuals. That is the case in Europe at least.

8. Elven Candy

That statement is extremely offensive, King.

For the record, I never said my religion is against homosexuals; I said it's against homosexuality. There's a difference.

9. Elven Candy

...and this is why I didn't say why I don't want to read homo in the first place...

I am trying to avoid religious discussions in this thread. Please keep it to the subject of books.

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I would recommend my Fantasy book, but it will be awhile because I have yet to write it. But it will be a captivating on the seat of your edge, steamy one with lots of technical points for accuracy and add aesthetic to the world. It will blow your mind, and leave you speechless. Shit! Now I am gonna have to write so I can recommend it. :D

Try the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony, the MC has one magical power and it is that no magic works on him (though this one power rule applies to all magical beings.) It is more of an adventure themed series based on the travels of the MC Bink. You will either like it or not, I didn't much care for it, but then again I am more of a Sci-fi guy.

You could look into Andre Norton, he wrote many Sci-fi/Fantasy type novels and series (Nine Princes in Amber, and Omnivore to name a series and a standalone novel.) I know both authors are from the 70's-80's era but they were really good authors in that time period. :D

11. Elven Candy

Thanks Cave Troll, I'll look into those!

Haha, sounds epic, now WRIGHT:superyesh::write:!

12. Cave Troll

@Elven Candy I will get right on that. I am basing it on the Fantasy of more of the "Mature" persuasion. :D That still counts under the genre of Fantasy right? :p

Only one question before I do, third or first POV? I will begin once you have chosen the preferred POV. :D

13. Elven Candy

Hmmm, what shall this evil master decide....:superthink:
    Second! Oh, wait, that'd be weird...
    Third is preferred! <--probably the only rhyme I've made in my entire life...

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Thy will be done o evil overlord, for thine hath spoken. :D

15. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

This doesn't have people communicating with dragons, but I'd like to throw in some dark fantasy for you to check out. It's probably going to interest you more than you think.

Prince Of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

IlaridaArch likes this.
  16. Elven Candy

I'm not really into dark or horror type things, but I'll look into it. Knowing one or two such stories might help me write better!

Edited because I forgot to say thank you!

17. Elven Candy

Muahahahaha!

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. dedebird

dedebird Member

Dragons you want DRAGONS? Me too any one got some suggestions?? I mean seriously, one of the reasons I'm writing my novel is because I'm sad at the lack of fantasies with dragons as a main plot point.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Cave Troll

:superlaugh::superagree::superlaugh:

20. Elven Candy

Haha, yes, I'm hooked on those beasts! Have you ever watched Dragonheart? Anyway, one series of books I'm looking into is "Dragonriders of Pern" by Anne McCaffrey. Maybe you can read it and tell me if it's any good:bigwink:.

Seraph751 and zoupskim like this.
  21. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Or you can read it.

joeh1234 likes this.
  22. dedebird

dedebird Member

@Elven Candy of course I've watched all the Dragonhearts! I wouldn't be a true dragon fan if I hadn't! That book title sounds promising I'll have to look into it. I'm starting college in about a week though. I doubt I'll have time for pleasure reading until my crazy English class is over! (thankfully it's only a 8 week course)

23. Elven Candy

Yikes, college English! I did some of that last semester (I'm not in college now), and it was tough, but also kind of fun. It helped kick-start me in writing my book again. Good luck to you!

dedebird and Cave Troll like this.
  24. dedebird

dedebird Member

Thank you! I'll need all the luck I can get! :read::write:

25. Elven Candy

Somehow I missed this post. I do plan to read them (or at least the first book). I just don't have a means to right now.