Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pemmie

pemmie New Member

Any suggestions for sites for people who are NEW to writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by pemmie, Sep 10, 2010.

hi: i am new here and enjoy reading the writing that people post on this site. however, i'm new to writing and clearly am not ready to post my own writing and was wondering if anyone knew of a site where people who are less advanced could post and get feedback?

thanks

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I think this site will still be useful to you. Even if you aren't ready to post your own writing, you can go into the review forums and start looking critically at what others have posted, and give your feedback. You'll find that in the process of critiquing the work of others, you learn a lot about writing and you'll start recognizing aspects of your own writing that need improvement.

I think jumping in is the best way to go, personally. Next best thing you can do, in my view, is read a lot, and read critically, so that instead of simply enjoying a story you are paying conscious attention to how it is crafted.

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

Why not here? We are for improving as much as we are for polishing. At least, that's the impression I got. :p

If you're worried about posting your stuff initially, read through all the writing advice forums and see what you can pick up from the general advice. :) I'm still learning from it, and I consider writing about the only thing I'm good at. :p

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

yeah I was brand new to writing when I started posting (still am been writing less than a year). Just find a couple of pieces to critique don't worry about the standard if you are a reader you can offer something, I find having the perspective of a reader as useful if not more useful than a writer.

This site will help you grow and improve rather than one where you get someone going 'och aye thats good.'

-Charlotte

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you've found it here, pemmie!

a large percentage of the members here are new to writing... and the main purpose of the site is for people to post their work and get feedback, no matter how 'new' and not-good-yet it is...

welcome!

love and hugs, maia

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, but we don't permit site recommendations/promotion here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.