1. musicjess2

musicjess2 New Member

Any other college students here? What's your major?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by musicjess2, Feb 28, 2013.

Hey there! I've been thinking about declaring my major soon (not that declaring it means I won't be changing it at all, har har.) But I have actually been feeling a lot more solid with my college choices right now than I have been in a while. Currently I'm a freshman in my 2nd/3rd trimester.

I'm currently thinking about doubling with a Bachelor of Arts in music, and English.
    (I know, jobs starting to sound scaring. Those liberal arts students, what are they thinking?)
    Financially I don't want to go on the grad school (even though I'd love to) so I've been trying to figure out what the heck I want to do as a career.

I was wondering what others were majoring it? What year are you currently? How did you decide on your major and what do you think you're going to do after college?

(Ahhhh, lifee..)

2. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I'm still unsure of what I'm going to do. This is my first year in college, after all. I get to use that as an excuse, right?
    However, I am very interested in Chinese, and I'm considering becoming an English teacher in China. I hear there are tons of openings for it over there.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

<waves hand>

History major here! I will be graduating this December (I hope), and I plan to work in a library.

4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Hello! College freshman (?) here. Been going to get my gen-eds for the last year about, in my third symester. After this one I'll have 18 credits. I'm just going to a 2 year school right now. Probably gonna try and get an associates in business with a focus on Medical Admin... not sure though. I would love to be a english or history teach though... We'll see what happens though I guess. :)

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Hey,

I'm not an American, so I don't major in anything, but I'm from the UK and I'm studying Creative Writing, first year. :)

6. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

English Education major with a writing concentration and a minor in special education. I'm a senior now, but will be returning as a "super senior" next year. I will also be going to grad school.

7. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Hi~!
    I'm in an equivalent course to the first two years of 'college'. I'm outside the standard curriculum -- due to dropping out of high school and spending a couple of years pursuing other goals -- and won't rejoin the standard until 2014, where I will go straight into the third year of a degree. The upside is I get a lot of hands on experience (I've been able to meet and work alongside/for some amazing people!) with what I'm doing and we don't get many exams. :)

I don't really understand what a 'major' is, but I study media.

8. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

I took some courses at a community college here in Maine, and my major was Human Services. I was thinking of becoming a mental health worker.

9. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Dual Bachelor's.

Sports Management

Criminal Justice-forensics track. (trains a person to be a CSI)

10. musicjess2

musicjess2 New Member

Cool, lots of other undecided freshman here. :p
    I've been totally all over the board with feeling solid about my major, to doubting myself, etc etc. I know that time will tell if it's right for me or not, though.

11. Biloxi Blues

Biloxi Blues New Member

I just found out that I was born a woman. I'm now pregnant, because I had unprotected sex 14 years ago with Jerry and had no idea that I was a female. Someone please help me because the midwife ran off with my baby.

12. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

I'm finishing my second year and going to major in accounting. It's a safe choice.

13. GazingAbyss

GazingAbyss Member

I'm a Master's student (bioinformatics/computational bio) and I'm still undecided for where I want to go with it. I started my Bachelor's in Animal Biology, because I thought I wanted to be a vet, but then I volunteered at some clinics... Anyways, I was way better at genetics and math based biology than anatomy, which is more about the memorization. Luckily my university forces all science students to spend first year getting a grounding in all sciences, so switching to molecular bio and genetics, even after three years, only set me back a semester.

Anyways, lots of people change their majors, or even change careers, so don't stress about it. I think the worst thing is to assume that there's one thing that will be the best thing ever for you and won't even feel like work, etc. etc., because when you imagine that idealized career path, anything short of perfection is gonna disappoint you. Which is not to say you should settle, obviously, just keep an open mind.

14. BlackCatMagick

BlackCatMagick Member

Graphic Design. I tried to go into something practical like accounting, but it just wasn't working. Every door I've opened has led back to art, so that's what I'm going with.