1. crashnburn

crashnburn Member

Any tricks to keep the words flowing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by crashnburn, Oct 22, 2012.

Are there any good tricks to keep the words pumping out? Quite often I find myself stuck while writing my novel, and I'll pump out 1000 words and then suddenly my mind goes blank for a short time. I know exactly how I want the story to go, but progress is constantly being halted because I find myself suddenly unsure of how to phrase something, or just plain unsure of how I can get enough words out of my idea so that it can be paced in such a way that I'll end up with 80,000 words.

Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated. I'm fairly new to writing, I've only been doing it on and off for a few years, but I've never tried tackling a novel.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Writer's Laxative. But don't take it on a regular basis, or you'll be shooting out streams of brown spew like Stephen King.

Or, you could consult the Writer's Block thread.

3. maidahl

maidahl Banned

Change of environment. A drastic "breath of fresh air" as in different stimulai... different people, different pills, different coffee shops, different genre of earmarked novels, different random experiments....

Take a break for a while and come back after doodling around on a full hiatus. You'll be more productive for it. :)

Atmosphere and how you relate to it has major impact on who you are when you write and how much flow you can spit.

4. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

It's strange, but I've never experienced writer's block. Every time my mind goes blank, suddenly a fresh and startlingly new idea will pop into my head. The only reason why I haven't written 10 novels already is due to pure laziness.

But keeping on topic, try pacing the room. It circulates the blood and should get your idea generator pumping, the lazy thing. Or just type dfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdfdf and hope that you get something interesting in your head.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Contributing Member

See, now there's some good advice. Be careful with the pacing, though. I've heard it can cause live births.

6. Snyder80

Snyder80 Member

None that I'm aware of. If I knew, I'm sure I'd have a drawer full of rejection letters.

7. Snyder80

Snyder80 Member

On a serious note, free association writing has helped me at times.