1. Kit Carruthers

Kit Carruthers New Member

Anybody here speak Spanish?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Kit Carruthers, Jan 19, 2016.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum... Sorry if it isn't.

If I were to give you a few lines would somebody be able to translate them to Spanish? I don't want to use a translation program 'cause I figure it wouldn't sound as natural.

Also if somebody speaks Lo-German too I could use some help there as well. But that one's not such a big deal 'cause I can just ask my mother.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

@Wreybies is fluent in Spanish. We have a lot of multilingual forum members. I'm sure someone is fluent in German.

What I do using Babelfish is to translate it back and forth. If you get the same thing, it's probably correct. If not, then try different wording.

Kit Carruthers likes this.
  3. Kit Carruthers

Kit Carruthers New Member

Oh, right, yeah, back and forth is a good idea. I still think I'll stick with a real person but if I have to that'll work. Thanks.

And yeah German is one thing, but Lo-German is a little different. It's what Mennonites speak... Maybe Hutterites too, I'm not sure.

4. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

I did this for my Spanish homework. I would write an essay in Spanish, use a few different side-by-side translators to translate it into English, and look for errors. Half the time they were software errors, and half the time they were errors in my Spanish; the important thing is that nearly all the errors in my Spanish resulted in errors in the English output.

This is really more for catching errors you overlooked (like a spellchecker, but without suggested corrections) than for anything else. You need some understanding of the language in the first place in order to benefit from seeing the errors, since the translators offer no help on correcting them. Which makes it a great educational tool for the student writing Spanish essays, but not such a great tool for quick and easy translation.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016