1. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Anyone else as excited as I am for the new M John Harrison book?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Robert Musil, Feb 14, 2017.

From his blog post:

Contents include: a distributed sword & sorcery trilogy; two or three full-size sci-fi novels, one of which is two sentences long; several visits to Autotelia, some that identify as such and some that don’t; and two final dispatches from Viriconium, neither of which would get house-room in an anthology of epic fantasy.​

Of course, I ashamedly admit I have yet to read the last installment of the Kefahuchi Tract trilogy (I think the last one is Empty Space, right?). Maybe having this one on the horizon will force me to finally buckle down and do it.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok, so....

I loved Light. It was amazing. It was... unlike anything I had read before. It was bizarre and poetic and disjointed and... on drugs! Just spectacular. Forgotten code hanging out in the rafters waiting to be needed. New Men, what the fuck are they? Cultivar bodies and ships as bodies and the wreckage of untold civilizations all around us and we are just ants on the pavement. Black and white cats. Where do they come from; where do they go? Are we all just a screen-saver on someone's machine?

When I read Nova Swing... I don't know. I still really liked it, but the magic that made Light so fantastic is the kind if magic that seems to only work once. Light was like the first time I ever rolled during university days. My friends made sure that the rolls were super clean, and it was an event like no other in my life. It was a hard act to follow because the firstness of the event was 50% of what was going on. I've not read the 3rd installment.

Maybe this new novel will be in a different vein? I know not all his work is like Light and Nova Swing.

EFMingo likes this.
  3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

@Wreybies Have you read any of the Viriconium stories/novels? Sounds like this will be closer to those than to the KT trilogy.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope. I know of these books, but not read any of them yet.