1. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Backup and Encryption

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by ToeKneeBlack, Oct 26, 2015.

I've been wondering; what software do other people around here use for backup and encryption?

Cloud storage seems to be promising, but since I don't know where the servers are, who has access to them, and how easy they are to hack, I've written my own encryption software; Zero Encrypter 4.
    As for the actual cloud software, I've chosen Drop Box, as it synchronizes with other computers I use, giving me automatic backups as long as I'm online.

2. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

I also use Dropbox for my Word files -- am not worried about encryption. Don't think anyone is too interested in stealing my WIP. I also, though, have my desktop and laptop backed up (all files) to Mozy (subscription service) automatically every night.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't encrypt. Just Dropbox, plus periodic backups to an external hard drive.

4. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

I suppose I'm not so well known that people will be trying to hack and leak my WIPs, but I'm getting into practise just in case.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

If I'm not mistaken Dropbox does use some kind of encryption, but the magic happens server-side (so the data is unprotected while being uploaded/downloaded).

Anyway, I back my stuff up using Dropbox (Scrivener automatically packs the project in a .zip and uploads it when I close the program), but keep the actual project I work on on one of my USB sticks.