1. Lyana Carol

Lyana Carol New Member

Anyone else feels terror...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lyana Carol, Dec 8, 2015.

...at the mere thought of writing after not having written for as little as a week?

I notice that if I don't put down at least a hundred words every day, I then have to almost step over myself to get back into it...

2. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

Not terror, necessarily, but overcoming that inertia of "not writing" is definitely a legitimate task. When I have my full momentum going I can usually crank out a thousand words a day without too much trouble. But it's real easy to keep writing when you're in the habit of it. Momentum dies and inertia builds, and it's real tough to fight it.

Unfortunately there's no easy fix. You just gotta sit down, get out the pen (or laptop), and start again. I'll occasionally put it off for some reason or another, but eventually I end up getting there. I'm at that stage right now, in fact...lots of inertia to overcome, and very slowly starting to do it.

Lyana Carol likes this.
  3. Valtiere

Valtiere New Member

I don't feel terror but I do struggle to get back into it if I skip even a couple of days. I try to stick to a habit of writing for at least half an hour a day (word counts don't work for me as I just end up throwing rubbish at the page to make up the count), and as long as I write every day everything is fine. I usually end up working far longer than my minimum 30 minutes but I have found that if I skip a day the next time I sit down it is harder to get going and each day makes it worse. For me, getting into the chair is often harder than putting words on a page for some reason.

Lyana Carol likes this.
  4. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

I doubt that's uncommon. Doing the thing is rarely as difficult/bad/scary/insert adjective here as building up to doing the thing.

Lyana Carol likes this.
  5. Lyana Carol

Lyana Carol New Member

I've gone through this a couple of times already, so knowing exactly how it will unfold makes getting back into writing easier. Still, it is a very unpleasant feeling. It is much easier to keep putting down at least a hundred words per day at least to remember how much I like writing.