1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

U.S.=Ecological Preserve

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, May 12, 2011.

Okay, the premise is that aliens invade and turn the United States into a giant ecological preserve. The populace of the United States is evacuated out, with the help of a demonstration that involved destroying military bases. Anyone left, with the exception of certain indiginous populaces, are killed. Mexico and Canada have special regulations placed on them, namely that they for every tree they cut down, one must be planted and when they develop smog industries they must be put under a certain limit.

The year this all happens in is 1920, and the aliens chose the U.S. because of ecological damage they saw happening from it in the future. The indiginous populace have heavy regulations regarding logging, even stricter than with Mexico and Canada, and may not develop industries that will cause massive ecological destruction. The rest of the world is warned that any interference in the ecological preservation will result in massive casualities,. Their technology is incredibly advanced, energy weapons, power suits, and spaceships overlooking to get an idea, so interference wouldn't work out well.
    The aliens in the year 2010 will get reinforcements, which will let them enact regulations on South America too, because the Canadian and Mexican ones require special guards and stuff.

Now, okay, I hope I'm getting the concept of this part of the forum with these questions.
    1. In your opinion, how would the rest of the world to this?
    2. Is the Stock Market Crash going to happen now, considering it originated in the United States?

Again, I'm not asking you to write the plot for me, I'm just asking your opinion on those for comparison. Also, do tell me if you like the concept, although I'm sure Cognito will remind us that isn't the point of course.

2. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

I like the premise. I think that if aliens had the capability to travel to earth, they would be able to construct ways to keep tab on all areas of the world.

The rest of the world would react with defense at first, but then the reaction would turn to submission. As for the stock market, I think it would crash, but humans would not be in charge of stock any longer. Advanced aliens would recognize the opportunity of human currency. They would take advantage of the fact that our world runs on currency, and our world can be inundated and controlled by external currency regulation.

3. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Well, the aliens do have power, but they lack manpower, and actually have another reason they don't just attack the rest of the world. They want to see if they recognize the need to preserve the Earth, and if capitalism will decay away perhaps, they hate capitalism because of the ecological damage it causes, or rather they perceive it inveitably causes.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

YOU have to decide which story YOU want to write.

5. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

The people will probably think the aliens are nuts for worrying so much about the environment. I don't know if environmentalists existed at this point in history.

'Smog' was first coined as a term around 1905. It wasn't brought to public attention until the early 1930s when someone wrote a book about smog, acid rain, and the effects on human health and farms.

Considering most of the people in the country have been uprooted and forced to move out, along with new limits on industry, you probably moved the Stock Market Crash foward a few years so it happens much earlier.