1. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Anyone Else Hate Spellcheckers ?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by stevesh, Dec 17, 2013.

I just read a thriller novel by one of the biggest names in the business and noted five misspelled words, all errors that I doubt human editors would make ('shuttered' for 'shuddered', for example. Running into spelling or grammatical mistakes pulls me out of the story for a second. Very annoying.

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I think the question would be more appropriate if said like this: Does anyone like spellcheckers? One thing that particularly annoys me is when I misspell a word, I right-click to see what it was supposed to be (if I don't remember how to spell the word) and only one suggestion comes up. Surely if there's only one suggestion, it can change it automatically? :mad:

You are not alone, my friend.

Wreybies likes this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

YES! This right here! Also, spellcheck is a serious prude. Never mind actual "four letter words", I don't expect (or need) help with those, but try getting it to help you with something like titillate or masturbate. You can be off by just one letter but nooOOOooo, it won't help you. I feel like it's telling me, "You are a potty mouth and I hate working for you." :(

Thornesque and jannert like this.
  4. PBrady

PBrady Active Member

I find spellcheckers that only offer US suggestions to be annoying.
    Spell checkers can't always correct for inappropriate words.
    These is why awl ewe gulls and bouys have two pay attention.

VM80 and jannert like this.
  5. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Sounds like you need a robotic arm, not a spell checker... :D

I always accept that computers are still not Artificial Intelligence. The machine is stupid. It only does what we tell it to, so it isn't the spell checker at fault. It's that lousy programmer who aces in logic, where failing miserably in data retention or provision. Most checkers, though, have the ability to "add word" meaning the user must actually go to the BAD (Big Ass Dictionary) to find the accepted existence and spelling. Computers are tools. Computers are assistants. We still are ultimately the responsible boobs behind our mess.

jannert and PBrady like this.
  6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I like spellcheckers for the occasional red flag - but I never rely on them to catch everything. That's my job.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I agree fully with two previous posters:

Google, and Microsoft Word are set to American spellings, and I have to set it myself to 'English (UK)' every time I get a new computer. So it'll flag 'Defence' up as wrong, and suggest 'Defense' instead. It's not major, I can ignore it, but sometimes this shit will change automatically, and that makes me want to spit blood.

But, I am only human, I do make the odd slip sometimes, and I like having something lie a Spellchecker as a help, but I always try to not rely on it. Whenever I go down that road, even a little bit, I get the strange feeling my degree scroll secretly hates me for it.

Mind, I hate Spellcheckers on phones. The vocabulary on those things are always extremely limited I find - maybes it's the phones I buy.

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Yes and No - it's a love/hate relationship. Just when you think the spellchecker has made your life so much easier you realize it's highlighting words it doesn't know and wasting valuable time confusing you as you check and double check. Since I'm notorious for making up words by jamming two real words together this drives me batty. Or it thinks your last sentence is just jim-dandy when there's a total odd ( but perfectly spelled ) word in the mix.

I must say though, since using spellchecker - my spelling has greatly improved - ;)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  9. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

I just hate it when I create my own words or use names that are odd. For example, every time I use my MC's name (Alesia) the red zig-zags appear.

10. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I do quite a bit of translating into Spanish, and MS Word's Spanish spell checker is surprisingly good. It helps me out a lot with accent marks in the right places and correcting masculine/feminine discrepancies. So I like it for that.

For English, I don't mind spellcheck, but it does get on my nerves sometimes.

One thing I can't stand though is grammar check in MS Word...

I HATE grammar check, especially when it glitches out and flags a whole paragraph as being ill constructed. It's like it doesn't recognize anything other than academic writing as proper. I usually just end up disabling it so I don't have to look at the stupid little green underlining that I am invariably going to ignore.

VM80 likes this.
  11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ms word can be set by the user to check documents in any language on their looooong list, as well as english... and you can switch from one to another with a couple of clicks...

12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I like spellcheckers. It sounds like the OP might be complaining about auto-correctors. Those I could happily do without. I'm fine when teh is automatically corrected, but I hate it when Google or EBay changes a search word for me that I didn't want changed. :mad:

13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I don't use 'em. For all the above reasons.

I tried running a finished chapter through my spellchecker to catch typos, several years ago. Instead it caught my dialogue which contained particularly Scottish or ethnic words, names of people, places and things, etc. I got fed up asking it to 'learn' these terms, and just quit. I have enough confidence in my ability to spell AND USE A DICTIONARY to not need this addition to my writing arsenal.

What I do find invaluable though, is the 'find and destroy' function. If I'm over-using a particular word or phrase I can get my machine to 'find' instances where it appears in the MS, and then I can replace some of these instances with other words, or say things in a different way. It's also invaluable when I decide to change something, like somebody's name, when I'm halfway through a long novel.

But spellcheckers? Nah. More trouble than they're worth, in my humble opinion.

14. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I think you can set your spell check to ignore certain words so that won't continue to happen.

Edit: Alesia just right click the word or name in your text, then in the drop down menu box click on ignore all and it won't give it the red squiggly underline anymore.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  15. PBrady

PBrady Active Member

Changing dictionary is easy in MS Word and Libre Writer (which I use), but in things like Firefox it is a little more than a couple of clicks once you have figured out how to get the option to install other Dictionaries in the first place.

Would be nice if everything happened automatically without any effort or input from me. I shall stop grumbling now - my first coffee is ready and I can feel my mood improving already.

16. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I am thankful for them. The amount of words I was obliviously spelling incorrectly beggars belief. Putting up with highlighting regional variations, place names and slang is a small price to pay for what I'm gaining back.

17. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I'd like to take the opportunity to publicly thank both spell check and @Lewdog. They know what for. ;)

Lewdog likes this.
  18. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Ha you shouldn't leave such open ended statements like that with all the perverts around here, especially me.

obsidian_cicatrix and Alesia like this.
  19. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

My sister-in-law is a surgeon and fired of a text to a fellow surgeon who would be on call that night and she requested that he keep an eye on suchandsuch from the resected bowel procedure she performed earlier that day. The spell checker studiously fixed up bowels to read balls.

VM80 likes this.
  20. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

This.^

But even more infuriating to me are those changes that MS Word makes automatically. I mean, I've been doing all my own writing since I was 6.

21. TLK

TLK Active Member

Well, I'm currently using Google Chrome as I write this, and the annoying American spell checker does really wind me up sometimes. Thankfully it doesn't auto-correct it.

22. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ed... why don't you just disable the auto-correct feature?

jannert likes this.
  23. jannert

Yeah. I'm not a PC/Microsoft user, so I don't know how this is done on that planet, but on Planet Apple, you do this through the Preferences. No need to gnash teeth over it. Just pull the plug!

24. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Oh.

25. jannert