1. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributing Member Contributor

Anyone else have trouble finishing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TDFuhringer, Jan 31, 2012.

When I first started writing I would get partway through a story or even a novel then suddenly get a new idea and start working on it. I'm looking at a pile of my old work and I have four unfinished novels sitting here. I've got a new novel in progress and part of a short story (for the Science Fiction contest) and I'm afraid of falling into the old trap of rarely finishing anything. Though I have to admit, some of the work I never finished was abandoned because it just wasn't good. I don't consider those attempts wasted at all, they were an integral part of developing my writing process and building up my skills.

I've decided I'm not allowed to write anything else until I finish at least the first draft of my contest piece. Maybe that will help.

Anyone else have similar problems?

2. Corgz

Corgz Senior Member

I guess i do struggle withfinishing in that sense... i need full time motivation or i get bored....

1 person likes this.
  3. jc.

jc. Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if most writers abandon their earlier work. I know this is how I've been too, but it's always been because while writing my older stories I realized, "Wow this story sucks" and don't feel challenged enough.

I start another (and more complicated/interesting) story and eventually feel the same way.

This is the first time I've ever gotten past 20,000 words in any story of mine and I'm actually still interested. I think maybe you just don't want to waste your time on something that might not be worth doing?

If there's no challenge and I don't think I'll feel a sense of accomplishment finishing something, I'll simply find another more fulfilling way to spend my time.

4. TDFuhringer

Good for you! That's a good sign. :) I'd love to have 20,000 good words down.

The farthest I ever got was 40,000 words before I realized it was abysmal.

5. GillySoose

GillySoose Member

Oh yeah, had plenty of those cases. Good thing about the majority of them is that they were all kinda dead-end at the time. Interesting setting and premise perhaps, but not much of a story beyond that. I've heard some writers just juggle several projects so that they can switch between them if they start to lose interest in one.

I'm facing a bit of a similar problem in that I'm maybe a third to half way through the first draft of a novel, and I'm still very much interested in the story, know what will happen and have the key events planned out. Problem is that I've already decided that a lot of it needs to be completely rewritten, so now I'm struggling to decide whether I should force myself to try and finish the first draft or not. It's going to be the same basic story either way, but a whole slew of events will be totally different, so I know that if I continue with the draft as it is currently it'll be completely incompatible with the next iteration of it. Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Not really because I always set up to write small so Iget irritated but I always manage to finish.
    I don't believe in word count nor do I believe I should finish a story.
    I tend to write snippets and stop.
    Then I start another one.
    Eventually those snippets will end upmeeting but never ending.
    so I don't have a specific beginning,middle or end because my writing is ongoing.

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

I have always been good at pressing on and finishing things... I don't like leaving a story unfinished and I will only do so if I find it completely helpless, such as I have written myself into a hole or I don't like the characters and their motivations any more, which is a pretty rare thing for me. In the last 2 years I have abandoned an epic fantasy because I just didn't know where I was going and I felt like I was writing all the wrong parts. I quite liked parts of it and I think I have just taken a step back and I'm re-grouping on it, really. The other was a convoluted thing which had awful characters and I just got fed up of writing them. At the same time I've written a huge epic fantasy and 7/8 books in the smaller series I've been working on, without feeling like I need to scrap any of it. Also did a NaNoWriMo that I only stopped writing because I managed to delete a week's progress on it and it made me so depressed I never wanted to look at it again (until I'd sufficiently recovered)

I tend to quite like my writing at the time of it first going down on the page, though. I usually have to spend quite some time distant from the story before I can really start picking it apart for the next draft. I'm a very optimistic person and I love the stories I write usually, so I find it pretty easy to get them down in the first place, as long as I don't give myself a reason to dislike them. I often find myself thinking if I get to the slump in the middle, "Well, I've written so far... I really ought to do the rest" and usually my interest in the story will pick back up again. Although I don't always have the slump either. :p

1 person likes this.
  8. TDFuhringer

I only managed 550 words yesterday. So far today, zip. I gotta stop posting on the forums and go write. :rolleyes: