1. author97

author97 New Member

Good Colleges for Writing

Discussion in 'Research' started by author97, Apr 24, 2011.

I'm writing a script and I need some help. Do you know any colleges that specialize or are known for creative writing? I did some research and all I can come up with is Hamilton. Is this good? Or do you know of any others that would be helpful?

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Most colleges and universities (unless they are aspecialized school like a business college) offer some type of writing course. I attended both Indiana University and Purdue University. They offered courses for poetry, short stories, and creative writing.

You could google colleges for creative writing and/or search on yahoo and other search engines.

I would be wary of a college that 'claims' to specialize in creative writing. That's like a college claiming to specialize in video game development. There is no 'steamlined' way of writing. And colleges like that are usually just after your money.

3. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

U of Iowa one of the hot grad school programs they have produced a stable of hit writers, For film it used to be UCLA and NYU however if you want fun LSU in Baton Rogue

4. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

If you just want a particular class to jumpstart your writing or help you revise, a friend of mine gave me this link to the University of Wisconsin creative writing program. You can have up to a year to finish with the course and the prices per course are inexpensive. They can be used for continuing education units.
    http://www.dcs.wisc.edu/lsa/online/writing/index.html

5. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

I've heard that a couple of the schools in California, like Stanford and UC Irvine, have very strong creative writing programs. But most decently sized schools should have some kind of program anyways.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what do you mean by 'script' ?

if you want to be a screenwriter, you need a school with a solid filmmaking curriculum, not just 'creative writing'... the best of the best are ucla, usc and nyu... both LA and NYC have other good schools for film, but those 3 are generally considered to be as good as you can get, offering the best connections to top dogs in the industry...

if you want to be a playwright, you need one that has a fine drama department... yale's school of drama is considered to be the best by some, but you'll find many excellent theater arts schools in various other parts of the country, as well...