1. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Pheonix, Aug 20, 2012.

Hitchhikers is one of my all time favorite reading experiences, and i was just wondering, How many of you have read the series, and how awesome did you think it was. If you didn't think it was awesome, i want to know why.

2. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

I enjoyed reading all of the Hitchhiker books. More so the first few. I felt that there was a marked change in tone in the final book, and although it was still very good it wasn't as funny or bizzare as the earlier ones.

Did anyone else notice this?

3. luna claire

luna claire Member

I haven't read the whole series. The ones I did (my library lacks the full collection:() read I thought were great. I enjoyed the journey of the characters. It was a great mix of sci-fi and comedy and adventure, in my opinion. :D

4. Pheonix

Yeah, I felt the same way. It was still really good i thought, just not quite as good.

5. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

I actually never got through all of the books, but I still very much enjoyed everything I did read.

6. lachesis77

lachesis77 New Member

I love the Hitchhiker series, although I didn't enjoy the fourth and fifth books nearly as much as the first three. There's supposedly a sixth book, written by someone who is not Douglas Adams, but I prefer to believe that it doesn't exist.

7. Pheonix

I actually read that one, and it's better than 4 and 5. The author stayed really true to Adams style and I thought he wrote a very satisfying conclusion to the series.

8. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

I believe it's called "And Another Thing..." by Eoin Colfer. I'm not sure whether I want to read it or not. Although the last book that Adams wrote wasn't as funny or adventurous as the others, I felt that it *was* a conclusion, and I was satisfied with it.

Colfer wrote / writes the "Artemis Fowl" series of children's books. There's a point in that series where everything reaches a perfect, satisfying (if slightly dark) conclusion. Then in the next book the characters are awkwardly and unbeliveably dragged back together again for another few sequels, none of which are anywhere near as cohesive, original or well-told as the first few books.

I found that very disappointing, and would hate to feel the same way about The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

9. lachesis77

lachesis77 New Member

Hmm... Well, I guess it couldn't hurt to give the sixth book a try. I haven't read the "Artemis Fowl" series, nor am I familiar with Eoin Colfer's work. Next time I'm at a bookstore, I'll check it out.

10. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

i didnt even know it was a book untill a few years ago i do remember seeing the movie and i swear i aint laughed that hard sense

11. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

I enjoy the Hitchhiker's books. As a family we saw the recent live tour of the radio show with most of the original cast.

I've just ordered "Dimension of Miracles" by Robert Sheckley, which is said to be one of the influences on HHGTTG, although Douglas Adams himself says that he didn't read DoM until after he'd written HHGTTG.

12. Jayce

Jayce New Member

I love Hitchhiker 's Guide to the Galaxy, all of them (I haven't read the one by Eoin Colfer). My high school French teacher played us a record of the radio series and l was hooked.

13. Hettyblue

Hettyblue Member

I have loved the Hitchhiker's series since I saw the TV series in the 1980's - then read the books/ listened to the radio serialisations/ watched the film adaptation (that did not work for me though). But I agree the first two books were the most consistent in style and pace. When I was working in North London in the late '90's I remember seeing an estate agent in Camden called 'Hotblack Desiato' and wondering why they were named after a Hitchhiker's character! The rock star, who was dead for a year for tax reasons, in 'Restaurant at the end of the Universe'. I soon realised that as Adams was a North Londoner, it was the other way around. I digress, sorry.

I actually like the 'Dirk Gently - Holistic Detective' books even more. Dirk is as world weary, unlucky and cynical as Arthur Dent (who can be irritating in his constant quest for a cup of tea) but also quite brilliant - in fact I may have to re-read 'Long dark teatime of the soul' again now.:)

14. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

I most prefer the radio shows. As a family we recently attended the live tour of the radio show with pretty much all of the surviving cast.