1. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Anyone using Scrivener on MS Windows?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by doggiedude, Apr 14, 2016.

I downloaded the trial version of Scrivener yesterday and there doesn't seem to be a grammar checker on it, only a spell checker.
    That's the only reason I wanted to try the thing so it's mostly pointless to me at the moment. I looked at the online help thing and grammar is only mentioned with the Apple version and says something about using the Apple embedded spell/grammar checking system.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't think the functionality is there. I haven't looked because I always turn it off. You can get third party grammar checked that are better than anything that comes bundled with word processors.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm asking in one of my Scrivener chat-groups, but it does look like the Windows version only has spellcheck at the moment. Macs handle spell/grammar check very differently than PCs. As you already mentioned, Macs make use of an imbedded global spell/grammar check that other applications make use of, rather than each app having its own.

4. Steerpike

A 2014 study had the following conclusions about grammar checkers:

"Grammar checkers typically only found 6 or 7 errors out of the 20 errors.
    Grammar checkers often offered the wrong advice.
    Grammar checkers have not improved their performance since the mid-1990s."

http://www.editorsoftware.com/wordpress/does-grammar-checkers-work/

As I said, you can get third-party grammar checkers that will work across different software programs to check grammar for you, but I use neither them nor the grammar checkers that come with programs like MSWord.

jannert likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Mine is turned off in Scrivener as well, though the function is there. I make enough use of what I know to be non-standard grammar in my fiction that the little squiggles would get annoying with a quickness. I can see, though, why it would come in handy on the odd occasion were one is unsure of a use.

Steerpike likes this.
  6. Steerpike

Yeah. I turn it off mainly because it annoys me when it flags phrases I constructed intentionally. Secondarily because it also sometimes flags sentences incorrectly.

7. doggiedude

I've been going through my WIP line by line using the free grammarly online app and a couple of others. While they don't always find the same thing & they don't always give good advice they do help me spot mistakes that I missed.

8. Wreybies

Yep, and as to the latter....

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 10.28.15 AM.png

This is MS Word's "grammar checking". I agree with everything until the last sentence. The wording is a bit stuffy and magniloquent, but I know for a fact that the 4th iteration, though not often used, is perfectly correct.

Komposten likes this.
  9. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Scrivener for Windows is essentially a port of the Mac OSX version. Since the OSX version doesn't have its own spellchecker (but uses OSX's built-in one) and Windows had no built-in spellchecker there is none in Scriv for Windows.

I don't know if they will add one eventually, but I assume they will since the OSX version offers that functionality.

I have missed the functionality on a few occasions, but I can always use Google, Word or LibreOffice if I'm unsure about a formulation or something. I'm not letting the lack of spellchecker scare me away from the amazing program that is Scrivener. :)

10. doggiedude

Thanks for the info.

11. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I'm currently using Word 2013 to write my book and the spell checker is hit and miss to say the very least.I´m not bothered by grammar checking as I like to do that myself.
    So the current version of Scrivener has a spell checker? Is it any good? Word autocorrects sometimes, probably only about 10% of the time though.I really like autocorrect.
    Also, does anyone know if you can import an existing docx into Scrivener?

12. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Don't know about autocorrect (as I don't use it), nor about the spell check in Scriv (the Swedish one is worse than Word's, but Swedish is a complicated language due to compound words). I can say, though, that you can import .docx files. But Scrivener only supports basic formatting (font style, size, etc.; tables and images (I think); page margins, etc.).

ETA: Scrivener has a 30-day trial (as in, you can use the program for 30 non-consecutive days, not "you have 30 days from the moment you start the program), so download it and take a look for yourself.

13. Wreybies

Yes, you can: http://www.simplyscrivener.com/tag/importing/

I've never actually done this myself because I've been using Scrivener since it was just a wee baby ap that was only for Macs, and the few stories I had at the time that I imported over from Liquid Story Binder I did the long way by just copy-pasting the text out of .docx files. I've read about frustrations in the process of importing whole manuscripts as regards having the imported version land in Scrivener with all the chapters separated, etc. Scrivener can be a little finicky about dotting every I and crossing every T in these kinds of tasks.