1. jim79

jim79 Member

saving your work

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by jim79, Jan 16, 2013.

how/where do you save your work?

I use memory sticks at the minute so that I can work from different computers but i'm thinking about going for cloud storage, does anybody have any recomendations for good sites?

thanks

2. Drusy

Drusy New Member

I was all into cloud - I tried Amazon (which I like), GoogleDocs, Adobe, etc. and they were all great for what they do. Right up until I realized that my work is a demon about accessing cloud storage. I can't get to anything. On top of that, I lost my home internet so my only access was on my phone - and that hasn't gone so well. Memory sticks are my go-to.

3. TimHarris

TimHarris Member

Memory sticks are a good way to go. Just keep them safe and dont lose them. And back up your work on more than one of them.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have a flash drive, but my new dell came with an automatic data backup, so i let it all go to that now...

5. idle

idle Active Member

I use Google Docs (so that I can write both from home and work without any transfers) and backup from time to time on an external hard drive.

6. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

I'm personally really terrible about backing up my work. Like if my computer were to crash right now, I would loose everything that I have ever written in my four years at college, in addition to personal documents. That's actually super scary and I should buy an external hard drive....

But, I tend to email everything important to myself so I can access it from any computer and never really lose it unless my university's email system randomly erases everyone's account.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have an external hard drive. I also use memory sticks. In addition to that, I print out my work and keep paper copies in my filing cabinet.

I've never gotten into cloud storage. It seems too risky to me. It puts my data on someone else's machine and hence in someone else's control. That kind of creeps me out.

8. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

Flash drive is the way to go. I also print out copies of my work and keep them in folders. I avoid Cloud Storage at all costs. I don't trust it at all.

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I use a flash drive and email completed drafts to myself. One can never be too careful.

10. ulster

ulster New Member

I have an external hard drive (in case the computer won't boot) and hard copies. Good idea to email a copy to yourself.

11. jim79

jim79 Member

its strange how many people don't trust cloud storage, although considering how many times programs stop working i dont trust it ether

12. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I use memory sticks - I've never used discs, but I'm thinking of using discs for to back up my photographs. Like Minstrel said, I think it will be a good idea to keep printed copies.

13. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

I use two computers, an external hard drive and cloud storage. You can never be too careful!

14. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

This is a tough one because quickly it can deteriorate into a mass of back up disks on my writing desk and what not. I am also backing it all up on iDrive, it costs nothing because you get up to 5 gb free and all my manuscript word files don't come even close to that. It takes a long time to back up a small bit of info but the computer is doing it automatically. Other than that I back everything up every few months or so onto external hard drive.