1. John Carlo

John Carlo Active Member

Anyone with an M.F.A. in Creative Writing??

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by John Carlo, Jul 5, 2011.

Hey all,

So I'm in the process of finishing up a Bachelors in Liberal Arts. I'm interested in being a creative writing instructor at a college. I just want to know if there are any on the site here that have gone through an M.F.A. in creative writing program. What was it like? Do you recommend it? Is it even necessary to teach it at a college? Just exploring my options for a masters program. All feedback is appreciated.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Some community colleges will hire people with a Bachelor's Degree and other experience/qualifications. Most I've seen around here want a Master's degree to teach. Four-year Universities generally want a doctorate-level degree. There are always exceptions, and of course if you become successful enough with your own writing, then I'm sure you could find a place to teach without any advanced degree.

3. TedR

TedR New Member

I'm in the process of acquiring my MFA for exactly that. Like Steerpike said, some community and tech colleges will hire you with a bachelors degrees. However, you'd probably have more luck with a MFA and teaching experience under your belt.

I've only been in it for a year, but I can tell you a bit about it. There are a lot of workshops and upper level classes. More is demanded of you from those classes. The MFA program is smaller than an undergraduate English program, so, in my experience, I've gotten to know my colleagues pretty well. It's nice seeing their projects develop over the course of multiple semesters. You also get to know your professors pretty well. Overall, I like grad school better than undergrad. More challenging, but it's stuff that interests me. I recommend it.