1. KittyGirl74

KittyGirl74 New Member

"Anything-goes" plot idea?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by KittyGirl74, Mar 15, 2011.

I am having SO much trouble coming up with a story I want to write. I really want to write an "anything-goes' type of book, where really anything can show up and it makes complete sense, from space travel to to time travel to aliens to magic, exc. Examples of this, in my opinion, are Doctor Who and the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. I just can't figure out an original way to make that sort of "anything-goes" story. Does anybody have a clue what I'm talking about/have any ideas???

2. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I think I told someone this in a post I made before. Writing a book is easy, but writing a good one isn't. You can brainstorn ideas you are looking for, and then once you begin to know what your story is going to be about, keep writing it until the idea flows. If you can't come up with any ideas, I would read a book that I really like, or even watch a movie. The movie or book that inspired you so much might give you an idea of writing a story about something that you liked about the story and have your own ideas about something in your own story.

You can refer to my previous posts I made. Maybe it can help you a little bit.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

An event like an alien invasion can be made believable. Anything outlandish can be made legit; it lies in the way you write it.

The thing you have to keep in mind is suspension of disbelief. This is a term for avoiding readers think "COP OUT." For example, let's say your MC is in a huge rut because he needs to find someone to give him crucial info, but he doesn't have the person's contact links and has to track him down. If the MC just so happens to meet this guy in a bar while on vacation -- oh, lucky! -- this will stretch the readers' SOD.

SOD is important to keep in mind in whatever you write, whether it's a monster in the closet or a too-convenient plot device.

Hope I helped.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Turn on your inner three year old as you write come up with the idea then keep asking yourself - how? why? but why? but how? but really? that's cool.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Yes- that always helps make a good story. Keep asking "why," "how," etc and you'll dig deeper back to find new characters, motives etc. Plus, I think the single most important question is "How so?" Don't just say a villain is scary or someone is annoying; make the reader see clearly how so.