1. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

capitalization

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by KhalieLa, Mar 6, 2016.

I don't capitalize "sheep," but I do capitalize "Columbian," but I don't capitalize "big horn."
    Do you feel like we should give up, embrace the Germans, and start capitalizing all our nouns for no particular reason? I would be so much simpler!

2. Wayjor Frippery

Wayjor Frippery Contributor Contributor

It would, but where would you stop? If you started trying to simplify the English language, you'd be doing it forever.

I'm quite happy embracing Germans though.

KhalieLa likes this.
  3. Laura Elisabeth

Laura Elisabeth New Member

It would make things a lot easier wouldn't it? I just like the differences, and sometimes annoyances, each language possess. Keep our capitals. :)

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

If we were to change the capitalisation, why do like the Germans? Wouldn't it be easier to not capitalise at all?

KhalieLa likes this.
  5. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Why is this in creative writing? Isn't this more of a lounge thing? Other than the relevance to words it seems rather non-literary. Just saying.

6. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

This idea does have it's merits! That said, I think the case for going all caps, rather than all lowercase, is proper nouns. People will still want their honorific capitalized. There is a thread around here somewhere about whether or not to capitalize the word king, which depends on whether you are referring to a king, or the King. I'm pretty sure the King will always want his title capitalized.

As for why German, that's because my new boss speaks German and we were discussing the importance of grammar when capitalizing The Tree. He was unsure why we were capitalizing the, but understood why we would want to capitalize tree. He didn't realize The Tree is a proper noun, referring to a specific tree near the parade grounds, that actually has a sign nailed to it which reads, "The Tree." This way when someone says, "Meet me at The Tree," we all know which tree they are referring to. Unless you are new to the area and don't know about The Tree, then you are just confused about why we insist on capitalizing the word the whenever it's followed by the word tree.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Komposten likes this.