1. Kaiten350

Kaiten350 New Member

Are any of you opposed to getting tattoo's?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kaiten350, Jun 9, 2012.

I just personally want to hear from the people who are opposed to getting tattoo's. If you are against the idea, what are your reasons? I'd love to hear some input. Thanks!

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

For me, personally, branding yourself with something so permanent a tattoo is risky. What if you ended up not liking the tattoo?

If I were to get one, it'd be on my ankle so I could keep it hidden and not have it be exposed to the world. Plus, I've heard that when you get older, the tattoo begins to become distorted, and the once vibrant colors fade away so they look dull.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ever see the wanted posters in the post office? One of the first things they mention is "distinguishing marks." Tats might put a crimp on my life of crime.

Seriously, I just have no interest in permanent markings on my skin. I am not a billboard.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have a very strong dislike for tattoos. I've seen a LOT of people with tattoos, and I believe in every single case they would have looked better without them. It isn't about the quality of the artwork or the skill of the tattoo artist; it's about the appropriateness of the canvas, so to speak. I wouldn't spraypaint graffiti on the Mona Lisa or Michelangelo's David, so why would I approve of tattoos on real human bodies?

You might answer that point by saying, "It's MY body, and I'll paint whatever I want on it!" Fine, but I don't have to like it. I'll always think you looked better without it.

5. Cogito

Agreed. Why slap a gaudy bumper sticker on a Porsche?

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I don't like them and am opposed to getting one personally. If other people want to, that's their business and it doesn't affect me. I wouldn't get one because:
    1) If the tattoo artist does not use sterilized needles, you could get Hepatitis or other blood borne infections.
    2) From what I understand, they hurt like the dickens. I don't know how some people take the pain, especially when they get them in certain places. I don't like needles piercing my skin, so unless it's absolutely necessary, I'll pass.
    3) They're so permanent -- if you decide you don't like them later, you're kind of out of luck.

7. killbill

killbill Member

Tattoo is fashion, I can't say I don't like them, but what if it goes out of fashion. It will be like stuck with sideburns you had in the 70s..... forever. So, I don't understand doing something so permanent in the name of something so impermanent like fashion.

Edit: Ironically, I realized just now that my Avatar has a tattoo *frantically searching for cover* :D

8. Erato

Erato New Member

Answer: for myself, yes.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm not opposed, just think it's stupid to do it for any reason...

and btw, adding an apostrophe before a final 's' only makes the word either a possessive, or a contraction... it does not make it a plural...

10. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

This chick I know hates tattoos. You name the reason, she's used the argument. You'll regret it later, they have a bad stigma, employers will make you cover them, it will be a bad influence on your future kids, they fade/stretch as you age and just look silly....blah blah blah...she is a broken record.

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Um...ah...I kinda agree with her. xD Except I don't care if you get tattoos, but don't be surprised if I don't show enthusiasm for getting one on me.

12. tinkerbelll

tinkerbelll Member

Yes, me

13. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

1. It's against my religion. (God gave me this body, I'm not gonna scar/mark it up.)
    2. I don't like marking myself with things. (I don't even wear shirts that advertise band names or companies.)
    3. They're permanent.
    4. They hurt to get them.
    5. Every person that I have seen that have tattoos are always really nasty and dirty looking. (No offense to any of you guys.)
    6. I just plain don't like them.

I don't care what you guys do to your bodies, but it ain't for me.

14. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I don't see the appeal. They make men look like thugs and women look cheap imo.

15. lettuchi

lettuchi New Member

Not a fan, at least for myself. The idea of permanently inking something into my flesh disturbs me. Same thing with piercings, not even my ears are done.

16. Tattat44

Tattat44 New Member

As far as other people go, I don't care, it's their bodies, but I myself have never thought of something that I would want to place onto my skin forever. A tattoo is an inherent supposition that your taste at the time of the procedure is sufficient to last you your whole life, which is dicey if you're a twenty-something/younger person.

Also, I've seen the scabbing and tenderness that comes from getting blasted (dunno why they call it that in LA, but they do), and I really am not interested in treating my giant pulsating skull or American flag or whatever with bactine three times a day to keep it from getting infected.

17. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I love tattoos. You could say that I like them on other people but there is a line when you are referring to yourself and others. I hate people who place tattoos in their neck, faces, belly and hands. I do not find that appealing especially in a professional work environment. Belly I do not want to go to the gym or beach and see somebody with a piece of artwork that stands out.

I love tattoos, I personally have two and it took me 4 years of thinking about it before I committed myself to it. I had to think to myself, is my tattoo a fad in the moment or is it worth having it a landmark on my body.

I am not opposed for people having logos or branding on their body as long as the story has a meaningful purpose. However I am strongly opposed for people tattooing names on the body unless it is the name of his/her son or daughter or it is a memorial tattoo.

I have heard of this happening and I have heard horror stories about the healing process. 1/2 the time people do not know how to take care of their tattoos. Though I never had this problem before, I had some minor bleeding and after taking great care I have never had scabbing. This is why tattoo shops tell you how to take care of it.

18. Cogito

Simple piercings are far less permanent than tattoos. I had multiple ear piercings, but when I stopped wearing things in them, they closed completely in a matter of months, and are no longer visible only a few years later. Ink is much harder to get rid of.

Large gauge piercings are, of course, a different matter.

19. twelveninetysix

twelveninetysix New Member

I'm of the same opinion. I don't have any piercings, but if I did get them, I'd regard them more like a new haircut or dye - maybe it'll be a waste but it'll be gone pretty soon if you dislike it.

20. koal4e

koal4e New Member

Well, I have tattoos...but...I only agree to having tattoos if there is a reason. For me each tattoo is symbolic, one is in recognition of my late grandfather, another is related to my childhood...they all have meaning. I dont get the chinese symbol thing, or having Kermit the frog on your arm, they look tacky and mean nothing.

Talking of looking like a thug, I have the problem that people tend to see me coming and walk over the others side of the road :( me below (tash from Movember - I dont usually have it but that made me more sinister!)

[​IMG]

I will say that I hold quite a high profile job in the place I work and all my tattoos are in locations covered by shirts. Not that that bothers my employer as we have people with tattoos on their faces and hands working in the office, my employer believes in diversity.

Attached Files:

• me1.jpg
      me1.jpg
      File size:
      4.8 KB
      Views:
  21. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

I more would not get one for work reasons. Tattoo’s are not that professional looking even as we get more open to them. The only type I would really consider are those uv ones if I worked at a club with uv lights a lot.

22. Dubya

Dubya New Member

Unfortunately, seeing someone covered in tattoos always reminds me of the Billy Connolly tag, "Tattooed f**k-wits". Apologies to all those covered in tattoos.:)

23. Tattat44

Tattat44 New Member

I wouldn't mess with you either, lol. You and me both have the same thing where we look like serial killers in our photos, but I don't look like I can do much damage so people don't step over to the other side of the street they just mean mug me the whole way:D

24. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

I dislike them too.
    Every tattoo I have seen has made that person that much uglier. If it's a big tattoo that person is very ugly, if it's small then the person is slightly ugly.
    Anything not naturally part of the body ruins the body, as far as I'm concerned.

25. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

I only like certain tattoos. There have been tats I've seen on the internet, like a colored typewriter on a girls' forearm, and think 'that's so cool'! I also love one that's of a sewing machine, and ones that have inspiring quotes.

Others, like the ones you think of when you even hear the word "Tattoo" I dislike. I do think tattoos make people look rough, and I don't plan on getting one. I don't think I could stand the pain and living with whatever tattoo I chose.