1. stampman

stampman Member

Thoughts on an idea i had the other day

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by stampman, Sep 9, 2015.

So after doing some more world development I have created new character named The Nomad. In a nutshell he is a telepath who's main use of his powers is making people forget about him. Most of the time its just used to scramble his identity in somebody's brain so when they try to remember him their brain creates a person. In other words, he varies depending on who sees him. Other times his face is just a blur to people, and at most he can completely wipe himself from people's thoughts. Anyways, I had an idea for some villains, or at least antagonists, who he clashes with. The Librarians, or to some, The Chroniclers. They're a group of powered individuals who's purpose is to record information primarily regarding powered people, for a yet unknown end goal. When meeting together they wear plague doctor-esque garb, the reason being that plague doctors were in fact Librarians documenting a plague spread by an empowered individual, and they are carrying on this legacy. Yes I know, very long and convoluted. So... Thoughts? Questions, comments, complaints? Please let me know in the comments below. Cheers!

2. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

That's not particularly long nor convoluted. It's a concept, and I doubt we can really be of much help to you at this stage beyond "sounds great, I'd read it!" or "not my cup of tea".

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

As I just said in another thread, I'm fascinated by plagues/epidemics. I'll read anything focusing on one. :D

It sounds promising to me. You just need to work backwards now and work out the motivations for both parties. Why does The Nomad use his powers in that way? Why do The Chroniclers keep such close tabs on powerful people?

stampman likes this.
  4. hilal

hilal Active Member

what he said. Basically there has to be a reason or motive if you will.

stampman likes this.
  5. Inks

Inks Senior Member

I was always more familiar with such an ability as the power to control the subconscious. Just do not have the character be the imaginary friend of children who ultimately will forget about him when they grow up. The lack of presence a person has is an unusual trait, but the power to be forgotten is still a curse of sorts.

Also, "The Chroniclers" have reason and motive enough - power of any type is best understood and managed even if it is benign. You might as well ask why persons choose to study frogs and keep tabs on them as well, considering their nature it makes sense and it becomes understandable. "The Chroniclers" would be no different, and would likely bend their own rules to assist such individuals in ways, because a relationship forms even from a far.

stampman likes this.
  6. stampman

stampman Member

I've kinda wanted to keep the Nomad a mystery for now, just as Joker's back story is always a bit uncertain with no real definitive reason. Eventually I may explore it but for now, he's just a guy who is on the run from someone or something, trying to outrun his past. What that past is is anybody's guess

7. stampman

stampman Member

You know what, I may quote you on that and use it. Because I've reached a point where another character is meeting with William Chelmsford, the Arch-Curator of the Chroniclers, and he is asked why they collect knowledge. "Why does anybody do anything? Why does a herpetologist study reptiles? Why do astronomers gaze into the heavens? Because knowledge is power, Mr. McKinnon. And the more we know, the greater we can affect change."

8. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Glad to be of help.

Also, knowledge is different from information. English is a fickle thing, but remember that knowledge applies to the processing of information that leads to a greater understanding. Data -> Information -> Knowledge is an ascending order of understanding. By definition, I would have the Chroniclers goals to include gathering information and then putting forth a bestiary of sorts on members. This would be useful for those instances where action needs to be taken. Making it quite easy for an authoritarian figure to exert influence and become a natural antagonist. The reason: Such a power can theoretically destroy their work and even the memories of such an act. It could be the most potent and most dangerous of such powers. It is capable of ending civilization.

Sure the Nomad might be weak now, but an awakening and extension of such powers would not exist by its nature. That is what I'd call an A-Rank danger!

stampman likes this.
  9. stampman

stampman Member

Precisely, and that's the reason the Chroniclers are after Nomad. Because he is an unknown, a variable that they have no knowledge or control over. And despite their best efforts, he has evaded them. So they commission others to help, with Chelmsford using his mental abilities to shield the minds of a select few from Nomad's memory altering powers. The thing is, this taxes Chelmsford, so he usually only selects a few Chroniclers at a time to shield.