1. nuwriter*me

nuwriter*me Member

Are online writers studios worth the cost?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by nuwriter*me, Mar 10, 2011.

I am about to enroll in an online course, and cannot decide if it is worth the $800. There are some that are cheaper but, I guess, sometimes you get what you pay for, right? Are these types of courses worth the $ ?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a few are, most are not...

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I've taken a couple of the Gotham Writers' Workshop courses, and I think they're worth it. I'm going to take another one, anyway. I find the "lecture" material rather old hat (anybody who has read any "how to write" books has seen that stuff before), but the interaction between class and instructor is excellent, as is the focus on critiquing the work of others and getting your own work critiqued. Also, the class provides deadlines for submitting work, and I find I need those - I have a discipline problem, and if someone doesn't light a fire under my ass, I tend to not finish things.

4. nuwriter*me

nuwriter*me Member

Stanford University offers a series of online courses for entry to advanced level writers, but it is at twice the cost. I just want to get quality feedback for what I'm paying. If I can get the same quality for half the price, I'm always willing to take a chance.