Are there enough men in the publishing industry?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Tim3232, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Don't take the bait BayView!!

BayView likes this.
  2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

50 years ago, 1965, still puts you in a time with massive sexism; there would be no hope of anything balancing out. Roughly thirty years ago, in the 1980's, a math teacher at my high school tried to keep a female student from going to an engineering event, because he felt that women shouldn't go into engineering. Blind auditions in the 1970's and 1980's were needed before female musicians started taking a reasonable percentage of the positions in top orchestras.

I think that we have not yet entered an era where sexism has been reduced to the point where women have an equal chance. It would be interesting if we could do the literary equivalent of blind auditions, but it's not practical.

Hubardo likes this.
  3. ChickenFreak

And I wouldn't be surprised if there were some fairly specific things driving that statistic. For example, are women more likely to be willing to work for low salaries or work as interns at zero salaries?

And, of course, there's no assurance whatsoever that the gender distribution at the low levels will extend to the high levels. I'm not prepared to go dig up statistics, so feel free to ignore this, but I seem to recall that in many low-paid professions, like teaching, women tend to dominate the lower levels, and those who get promoted to higher levels tend to be men.

4. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I am.

The figure came from a survey run by Publisher's Weekly in 2010 (presumably to its readership). There were 1584 responses, and of those:

85% of people with less than 3 years experience were female
    82% of people with 3 to 6 years' experience were female
    70% of people overall were female

The gap between 0-6 years' experience and overall does suggest that the men were more likely to be higher up, as does the ~$40,000 pay gap.

In both the publishing companies I've worked in (both fairly small), women did significantly outnumber men, and they also occupied most of the senior roles.

Citation, if needed

5. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Interesting article I found:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/48618383/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/word-womens-status-rises-so-do-literary-shes-hers/#.VY3Gk_lVhBc

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Hubardo likes this.
  7. ChickenFreak

Six years is still quite junior. That's still only telling me that the majority of junior employees in publishing are female. Since junior employees make up a high percentage of most companies, it makes sense that the overall percentage is also skewing female.

I don't yet have a non-anecdotal answer to the question of percentages of more senior employees.[/QUOTE]

8. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Well, you don't have a precise one, but the stats are fairly clear in that there's a higher proportion of men to women when you look at over 6 years experience, and the average wage gap suggests they're in higher-paid, and so probably senior, positions.

It's possibly worth noting that experience doesn't necessarily correlate to senior, so the wage gap is probably better evidence.

9. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

[/QUOTE]

Well, if you go right to the top, at least for the Big Five:

Hachette, http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/about/leadership/, CEO male, top execs five male, six females
    Harper Collins, http://corporate.harpercollins.com/about-us/leadership-team, CEO male, top execs seven male, four female
    MacMillan, http://se.macmillan.com/Who-We-Are/Management-team/Leadership-Team/, CEO not clear, top execs ten male, five female
    Penguin Random House, http://global.penguinrandomhouse.com/management/, CEO male, top execs ten male, seven female
    Simon and Schuster, http://www.simonandschuster.biz/corporate/executives, CEO female, top execs ten male, six female

10. ChickenFreak

Heh. Those poor, poor outnumbered men.

BayView likes this.
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Not having men in control of 100% of any business endeavor goes against the law of God.

BayView and ChickenFreak like this.
  12. ChickenFreak

And it's communist! And unconstitutional!

BayView and Steerpike like this.