1. Mitch445

Mitch445 New Member

How do you sell your book online?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Mitch445, Jan 25, 2010.

Greetings fellow writers. I need advice.

I'm self publishing a book and thinking about starting my own web site where I can sell it. But the monthly/annual fees to start a Merchant Account & Quick Shopping Cart are staggering. Those are necessary to accept credit cards. It didn't dawn on me that such add-ons are suitable only for high volume retailers and not for a self published author who has only 30 verbal committments from his blog subscribers. I do not want to inconvenience potential customers by having them go to the post office for a money order (and identity theft via check fraud might make them reluctant to send checks)

Are there more affordable options for self publishers to peddle their book online? I'm almost done with the design and printing phases, and panic is setting in.

2. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

paypal?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Self publishing is full of hidden costs and disappointments. You are almost always better off taking the traditional publishing route. The acceptance difficulties are up front, and it's because publishers have a pretty good idea of what will sell. It is their business to know, and they are good at it.

4. Mitch445

Mitch445 New Member

I use paypal for personal purchases. I assume if I add a bank account, I can start selling with it too. Does this mean that my customers will be forced to start up a paypal account in order to purchase my book? Are paypal's fee's affordable? If so, then this is what I have to do.

Hello Cogito. I definitely see your point. I'm sure the printer is going to spring a hefty plate charge on me. Or perhaps the cost of blue line proofs won't be included in the quote. I have a small, interested readership and was wondering how I can make it convenient for them to buy my book while avoiding costly merchant account fees or payment gateway fees.

Yes, the stats are discouraging. I read that 97% of all published books fail to sell over 1,000 copies all-time. But is a publisher always the way to go? Case in point...my sis works for a non profit org that wrote a book on humanitarianism. It's a 200 page hard cover...500 copies printed. Publisher is pricing it at $80. Sounds a bit high. Although mine is a softcover, I estimate that I'd have to sell the 1st printing (300 units) at $12 per unit just to break even. The 2nd printing would start seeing profit once the designing expenses are out of the picture.