Are We Alone.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Raven

Raven Banned

Sounds like Id have a good evening debating these theories with your Farther Torana. ;)

2. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Excuse me, but whomever is deleting my posts. Stop it. I have posted more than one post here. And they are both gone. I know they were perhaps a little silly, but deleting them without any notice to me or reason giving to me is plain wrong. I have noticed this a couple of times. If any of my posts are to be deleted and they are not even defamatory or nasty, then please give me a reason why they are deleted. Or at least let me know. I am getting rather annoyed at this happening.

~Doz.

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

LOL Yes I dare say you would. ;) :rolleyes:

And it would be painful for anyone else's ears that happened to be near by that is for sure. :p

4. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

That's extremely lame.

5. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

I personally think that in order to answer this question we need to further evolve in the department of Physics. I don't think SETI is a powerful enough tool to detect intelligent life. It is simply very limited due to the nature of radio waves becoming static (hence misunderstood) once reaching a point in space. Discovering light travel is an absolute must if we really are to discover life out there. But even without our evolution in science, it is perfectly logical to assume that there is. We are talking about billions of galaxies out there, not planets.

To put things into prospective, if our galaxy (Milky Way) consists of millions of stars, of which millions of planets revolve around them (already a high possibility that other life exists), now imagine the sheer, ridiculous number of stars and planets inhabiting those BILLIONS of galaxies out there. It would be a miracle to learn that no other alien life exists.

6. Torana

what's so screwy looking about Australian animals?

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    The duckbill platypus.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

He has a point.

9. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

What do you mean by that? (just wondering that's all because this could be taken either way)

10. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Lightspeed is gonna be awhile. We're no where near a strong enough energy source to power such a craft and then theres that pesky theory of relativitiy. It could be a long time before we can start meeting other life forms out there.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The energy requirements for such a craft are unknown, as we have no applicable theory. Unless you mean accelerating to lightspeed in normal space, for which the energy requirements are infinite.

On the other hand, the higher your velocity, the greater the compression of space along the direction of travel, so your destination becomes closer.

Practical interstellar travel awaits a breakthrough theory, perhaps some form of hyperspace theory we can make use of. We could be centuries away from discovering it, or the seeds of it could be in someone' physics thesis as we speak.

12. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I like Warp Theory (Yes, warp theory). There are some guys who have an idea that looks good on paper. Its good cause you can move your ship past the speed of light without it actually moving. Brilliant!

13. Forkfoot

Lame that your posts are being deleted without notice.

14. Penned Down

Penned Down New Member

No way are we alone, this galaxy is way to big for us to be the only bags of flesh inhabiting a planet. They may be some kind of 10 foot tall advanced bug creature but there has to be something else out there. We only have the smallest grasp on what is really out there. We're too worried about blowing everything up on this planet, once we get over that power trip we'll switch our attention to blowing them up haha.

15. Forkfoot

C'mon, dude. Don't even try telling me you Aussies don't look at some of your local fauna and go, "Auy, waut, et's a welly-nelly crumblebucket, ay mate?", which is Australian for "Well now, that's really a strange and unusual creature, isn't it my friend?"

16. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Forkfoot, shut up. Your attitude in this thread is really annoying. A very small portion of Australians actually sound as you have so pathetically 'described'. What the hell is a crumblebucket? If you ever bothered to venture out of your own country (I'm almost certain you're American) you'd find we have a pretty civilised accent in the major cities. Only way out in the country will you find those sort of people. I've honestly never even met one. If you want, I can list all the reasons Australia is better than where you live (particularly if you're from America), and you'll find yourself unpleasantly surprised.

Australia has some unique animals such as the monotremes. So what? Haven't you ever seen that Russian alien fish? It's not as if Australia is full of freaks.

Continuing on from the physics talk below, we're also completely unaware of materials that could be found in other galaxies. And those sort of materials could provide better efficieny with fuel and travel for alien species.

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

don't get so het up, bluemouth, it was all in fun!... and you have to admit oz has the largest number of 'odd' critters, compared to all the other fauna on the planet...

loh... glad you liked the poem!

torana... i'd also love to 'virtually meet' your dad and trade theories with him, as he seems to be somewhat on my own wavelength... i'll bet he'd get a kick out of my writings [poems and essays] on the subject...

love and hugs to all you poor, benighted humans, maia [who has to be 'other than' ;)

18. Bluemouth

I'm getting annoyed because everytime I come on this site I find Australia referenced incorrectly and heavily stereotyped.

What are some of these strange critters that you all speak of? We have snakes, lizards, crocodiles that suit the hot climate. Then we have the marsupials, which are the only creatures I can see as different. Apart from that what makes us so strange to everywhere else?

19. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

What about those devilish lizards that speak and do commercials?

20. Bluemouth

Haha, the funny thing is I've never even seen the commercial ... I just liked the pic.

And apologies Forkfoot - I woke up angry but now I'm happy. I just needed to have an outburst at someone. :D

21. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Thankyou. :)

I still don't rekon we are alone. I used to think we were being controlled by giants. Or maybe we really are Sims... eep! Being controlled by evil game people beyond the clouds....

22. Torana

What part of the Australian country are you referring to?

23. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Depends on what you consider 'alive'. Intelligent life? Depends on what you consider intelligent.

24. Bluemouth

Smack bang in the middle, stretching up to the Kimberlies, down to the top part of SA and around Mt. Isa.

25. Forkfoot

It's cool, dude. I was just going to type something like, "C'mon, y'all know your animals are weird," or something like that, but then I decided to have a bit of fun trying to write some mock-Australian dialogue. I do that with middle-English, too. Didn't mean the slightest bit of offense to you or your land-mass. The critters I was talking about were things like kangaroos, flying squirrels, and mammals that lay eggs.