Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Are We Starting to See a Devolution of Society?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Lewdog, Oct 31, 2014.

I saw this article on Yahoo! and I couldn't help but think that we as a society must have reached a certain part in the evolutionary process that some of us can no longer evolve and will instead devolve to what might be described as a primal state. I can't possibly see how any civilized individual could fathom the idea of stoning a fellow human being, burning them, then eating their body.

http://news.yahoo.com/congo-crowd-kills-man-eats-him-militant-massacres-160235263.html

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm pretty sure those would be humans who had yet to evolve (culturally) rather than evolved humans who were devolving.

Mike Hill likes this.
  3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I might be confused, but I certainly hope your not saying that people of the Congo are not evolved people. They are riding buses and they speak Swahili.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You are confusing biological evolution with cultural evolution, two different things that work by different processes.

5. Tragri

Tragri New Member

Ignoring the fact that the article is from Yahoo in the first place, why is this an example of people starting to devolve? This happened in every first world country thousands of years ago.

Mike Hill likes this.
  6. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

In some senses, society has evolved in areas of gender equality, gay rights and prejudice. Many of us, even within the shrinking middle class are fat and content. Most of it is a veneer of dubious quality, though, ready to peel off with the slightest agitation. I see cannibalism, metaphorically anyway, practiced every day in the great law making halls of the world.

123456789 likes this.
  7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

In this age of mass, electronic, and instant media, it's easy to think the world is rotting away into madness. I don't think we are any worse than any other generation of people. What you should worry about though, is the ever-present threat (now more real than ever) of our ability and capacity to literally exterminate ourselves with our nuclear weaponry.

Mike Hill, the_evil_ted and Wreybies like this.
  8. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Agreed. We just live in an era of very loud raw information overload.

jannert and Link the Writer like this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Humans have a huge pool of evil in them, and sometimes it comes out. This isn't about a devolution of society; it's about a failure to protect against that evil. Those failures have happened for centuries. They've happened forever. Maybe sometime society will evolve to the point that they stop happening. But the fact that they still happen doesn't mean we've devolved.

10. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributing Member Contributor

My own fantasy world, living the good life
    I think that we as a society and species have hit a point in technological advancement that has made us so reliant on technology, that if something were to happen, we'd just die. Evolution would probably happen with the 1%, but the gene pool would be too small at that point.

That's why post-apocalyptic media is so scary to us. A plague, nuclear war, zombie apocalypse, etc are so scary.

Another example would be the y2k thing in 2000. Everyone thought the world would shut down with the computers glitching or something.

We've become so dependent on technology, how would we function without them? There would be radical evolution in the event of the power going out and not coming back (an example of this is the show Revolution though that was only 15 years later). Everyone not a superior fighter/survivor would die quickly. Only the fittest and smartest would survive the zombie apocalypse.

Without our cars, or planes, or phones or computers, society would quickly devolve. So instead of a deevolution of society, we've seen a halt in evolution for now. Evolution requires some form of change. At least in the first world, we've hit a flat spot. There's little change.

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Devolution of the human species is the premise of Kurt Vonnegut's novel Galapagos. It's worth a read.

Lewdog likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

I agree with the point that we've become scarily dependent upon technology.

However, I suspect that your maths is a little faulty...1% of a population of 7 billion is still 70 million - quite a gene pool! Taking my own town, 1% of 120,000 is still 1,200. Far larger than the gene pool in an average village a millennium ago, and far larger than the small tribes that would have been the norm for proto-human hunter-gatherers 100,000 years ago.

The Island with Bear Grylls recently demonstrated that a group of fairly average guys CAN survive without any special survival training. It wouldn't be easy, and there'd be a great demonstration of Survival of the Fittest, but we - the human race - would survive. I might not, and I think that's what - for most people - is the scary thing.

Mike Hill and 123456789 like this.
  13. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

The Third Reich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.