1. Gloria Sythe

Gloria Sythe Member

Are writing workshops a money making gimmick now days?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Gloria Sythe, Apr 10, 2015.

I have been taken on as a client by an agent because he likes my writing style and flow; however, he has suggested that before I send him anymore manuscripts he wants me to sign up for one of "his" Online Writer's Workshops. Is this a normal thing with agents now days or is it a gimmick. I feel uncomfortable with this one.

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

That feels gimmicky to me, for sure.

Is he asking you to pay for the workshop? If he thinks he's going to be able to sell your book after the bookshop, then his 15% is his payment for any help he gives you.

Have you checked him out with Preditors and Editors and/or the AW Bewares and Background Checks section? Have you spoken to any of his existing clients to see if he's doing a good job for them? Does he have a good list of sales to major publishers?

There is definitely an industry of people preying on aspiring writers, and if this guy is asking you to pay for something he should be providing for free, then, yeah, I think he's part of the scam industry. Sorry.

EdFromNY likes this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I'm with Bayview. This guy sounds like he's pushing a scam. This is less about Workshop and more about slippery-ass dude.

EdFromNY likes this.
  4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

[​IMG]

But seriously, if you have to give money to anyone to show your manuscript, don't bother. Trust your instincts; if it feels like a gimmick then it probably is.

Mckk likes this.
  5. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

I entered a writing comp a few years back. I didn't win but they were impressed with my writing and offered me a discount on their course which they felt so sure that I would benefit from that if I hadn't earned more in writing than the cost they would refund me. I wrote to them suggesting they allowed me to take the course for free and I would pay the full price when I'd earned that much. They declined my offer.

6. wellthatsnice

wellthatsnice Active Member

This is the same as models being "discovered" and then the agency telling them they need to get official head shots from their in house photographer...tthey only cost $3300 but you'll make that back on the first job.

Sorry, scam.