1. timsdream

timsdream New Member

Are you ever too old to begin?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by timsdream, Apr 30, 2012.

Because of a disability, I am finally able to pursue my dream full-time. I came from a broken home and for me, books were my only form of escape. I was the child who would read in the dead of night with the covers over me and a flashlight to illuminate my current adventure. My dream thereby, is to be the author of the books that allow the next generation of children to escape as I once did. My only concern is that I am 44 years old and I have a LOT of polishing to do before I can even consider being a published author. Is it too late to begin this journey?

2. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributing Member Contributor

First of all, no, you are never too young or too old. And second, 44 isn't old at all.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Definitely not. I've heard of many writers who has had their debute in their 40's or 50's and then had a successful career as writers.

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Of course you are not too old! It might seem like you are having a late start, but you have a wealth of experience in both reading, writing and life, under your belt. Something that a 20 year old would be lacking.
    I found that even though I could write non-fiction really well, I lacked knowledge about structuring a long narrative such a a novel. It took me about a year of reading books on writing to pick up the technique, and since then, it's all a matter of persevering, writing and editing until I am happy with it. Do that enough times, and you'll have your first book. After that, it'll be much easier.
    Good luck! :)

5. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

You are never too old to do anything.

6. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

It might take a bit longer for someone, who haven't been around books, to take up writing at an older age, but that's not a problem for you. So, stop thinking about how late are you to take up writing, just start writing already! You can hone your writing skills along the way.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

You're not too old. There's no such thing as too old. And 44 is not old - I'm 50, for Pete's sake!

My uncle took up woodcarving after he retired. He'd never done any carving until he was past 70. And now he's winning prizes for his work. It's never too late to start something creative. Go for it!

8. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I just turned 62. It's the mileage, not the age. Besides, we have a very special talent that younger guys do not. Rather than opine on what life might be, we know for sure. We've seen every trick, heard every white lie.

We also have patience, and now I find a better, deeper education. There is much wisdom in my Aunt Clara's admonishment to, "Be a wolf who waits."

9. timsdream

timsdream New Member

This is exactly the reason I joined this community. It seems that the true support for anything you set out to do is best given by those bobbing around in the same dinghy. Family and friends try to dissuade you from such "fairy tale dreams" and encourage us to pursue more "honest vocations." I appreciate and am encouraged by your comments and support. Thanks everyone.

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

No. Not by a long, long way. If you want to write then write.

11. Mike Cornelison

Mike Cornelison Member

Hell no you're not too old. If you're too old, then I'm out of luck! I'm one year younger than you, man! No, you and I both have to think positive, that everything in your life led up to this one moment, the broken home which turned you to a love of books (no better asset you could have as a writer than to be well-read) the disability which has given you the ability to focus full-time, it was all leading to you to this, your chosen path. Pour all your heart into it and you can never fail.

12. MeganHeld

MeganHeld Senior Member

Age is just a number. Having more years in life means more experience; therefore, more knowledge to show in writing. There is never an age limit on anything as long as you want to do it and are passionate about it. Lastly, age is just a number. No one ever feels their age, they always feel at the most, half their age. Start writing! I am sure you will succeed.

13. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Hey, I'm 59 and still looking to get my first novel published. James Michener was in his 40s when he published his first book, "Tales of the South Pacific", and then he kept on writing and publishing into his 90s.

Write on!

14. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

OLD is just a bad substitute for the word WISER. Can you be too wise?

15. aimeekath

aimeekath Senior Member

This. You can use all of that book reading as experience! :)

16. writesistah

writesistah New Member

Nope!

17. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributing Member

One of the good things about writing is that you can continue to do it for as long as your mind will allow; plenty of writers were still writing up to the day they died. So at forty-four you could still have another forty years of writing ahead.

18. twinkle28874

twinkle28874 New Member

As already said- age is a number, but more than that age gives you a wealth of experience to draw on, a valuable tool when writing.

19. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

Short answer ... NEVER!
    Long version ... As long as you have ideas in your mind and spirit in your soul, you will never be old as a writer. The writer inside is ageless.

WRITE ON, CHILD! WRITE ON!

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i began my own writing career at about your age and i'm still at it nearly 30 years later... GO FOR IT!

and if you want any help along the way, just drop me a line any time...

love and hugs, maia

21. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

44 is very old. Depressing even. There are other lines of activity that you can explore: colour by numbers, advanced mobility scooter course, Werther suck. There's a lot of good TV out there to watch. If you haven't done it by now...Do you have that face for TV interviews? No. Can you write Elf dialogue? I thought not. Leave the field clear for us thoroughbreds, alright grand dad?

hey hey hey, baby, 1968. I was there x

22. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ooh haha hah. Gasp. Pant...

Excuse me while I catch my breath.

I believe I was about to turn 53 when I joined this site. At that time, I hadn't written creatively for years, but was finishing up college. I wanted to redirect the momentum I had built up writing papers for school into picking up creative writing again, and developing into something I wouldn't be ashamed to show. So I consider that my starting point as a writer, and everything I did before that was fingerpainting with words.

I'm still learning, and about to turn 59. And the best is yet to come.

23. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

You're never too old to start. One thing I admire about my mum - she never thinks of herself as too old to keep learning. And I think she really taught me that you can always start, wherever you are. My dad taught me to always try. There's a saying in Chinese that basically translates as: "People only ever succeed because those people tried" - eg. you give it a go, you take the first step, you took a risk and you tried. You tried, and then one day, you find that you have accomplished what you thought was impossible. It's made me into the person I am today - whenever I'm too afraid to try, I just remember this. As the English saying goes: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Another one of my friends also said - the things that are actually worthwhile in this life always comes with the greatest risk.

So in short, what should stop you? Nothing, really. Nothing except yourself. You willing to take a risk, and try?

Don't think that the young's got it all. The best has yet to come ;)

24. TheatreOfWords

TheatreOfWords New Member

I've been struggling with this question and I'm 21. Mostly because I haven't written much during my life. But I think writing is something we've all been doing since the moment we were born, writers just decide it's time to become more conscious of it.

25. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I graduated high school in 1968. I have shirts older than you.