1. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Are you judging me?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tarnished, Nov 11, 2008.

Lol, pretty random title. But anyways, I have a question or all of you fellow WFers, do you judge your other members in status or in any way by avatar, post count, signature, or any other aspect of their account?
    I found it a rather interesting subject when I was pondering what to put for my newly found title, provided from my subscription as a supporter.

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Hmm, in general no. I tend to pay more attention to post content and behavior than any of those things. Albeit I certainly assume someone like Cog with a massive number of rep points must be pretty cool (how would he get all those rep points otherwise right?), and I guess I assume someone with a high post count has either been around a long time or is really dedicated to the forum. But even then, I tend not to make judgements based on such things until i actually have some form of interaction with someone.

3. tarnished

In addition to the original question; what about average post count, public profile views, etc?

Lordofhats, I agree. You cannot usually tell charectar until conversing with a person. However it is easy to pass judgement :D

4. Suomyno

Suomyno Member

I agree with Lordofhats. I pay more attention to content than, say, post count. The number of posts means nothing if they are mostly 'hi. I like this' or 'hi. ur cool' (not necessarily talking aboutwhat I've seen here; I've seen that type of thing more on other forums.) But, using Cog as the example again, if they have an insane amount of rep points they must be something awesome.

5. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

Well lets see, I don't judge people by their avatar or their rank. I usually look at what they wrote and what they have said to tell what kind of person they are. And I have never made any pass judgments either. I guess me analyzing the way they speak and the way they talk might be a form of judging.

6. tarnished

I agree. I usually never judge on post count and such things, but I was wondering if I was the only one.

7. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I have never so far, nor do i think i ever will, judge a member by either their Avatar or Signiture. I just dont spend that much time looking at them both to really care. I spend the majority of my time trying to read comments.

I must say though, i have had my opinions changed over recent comments over the rweek/s.. but, even that wont truly effect my opinion on them. I do respect everyones opinion, no matter how different it is from mine.

8. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I hardly ever judge anyone, I'm an extremely open-minded person.
    It's rare that I dislike someone or criticize them.
    If I do it is usually because they have a bad attitude. That's the only factor I take into consideration - superficial things hold no weight in my opinion.

9. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

I tend not to take people with anime avatars seriously, and I'm suspicious of people with long signatures. Of course, if their posts prove otherwise, I'm willing to change my opinion.

Still don't like anime avatars.

10. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Oh yeah

I judge everyone, all the time

constantly

I'm judging even as your read this post matter of fact

11. Ennui

Ennui New Member

When a member has vast reputation,it is overt to judge that this person is liable.Other than that,I do not judge others by way of writing nor speaking.When people speaks or talks,it is their disposition,and duly.

12. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Thanks

I havent laughed like that for a while

13. tarnished

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
    [/FONT]

Lol, this made me smile.
    I was just curious, as someone has earlier said they're like clothes for the internet.

*looks down at my signature...looks back up*

Heh...it has been getting rather extensive lately...

14. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I judge other members by what they say in their posts. Say a few really stupid things, or try to come across as some sort of know-it-all with little to back it up, and I lose all respect for them in the future, no matter what their status on the site.

And yes, I've lost any respect I might have had for a few higher-ups around here, but it doesn't matter who they are, since 1. I'm sure most people have a few members they can't stand and 2. who cares what I think?

I've learned that the title somebody has next to their avatar, here or elsewhere, often means quite little. Some of the most informed posts I see are from other nobodies like me. *shrug*

ETA: I do tend to judge people also by typos or grammatical mistakes in their sigs or posts, however, especially if they go around the site trying to tout themselves as good writers. But aside from this post I keep that to myself.

15. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I dont judge people on the internet unless they're being a-holes, 'cos in that case i'll be as childish as they are.

It's very hard to put your true self accross on an internet forum - pictures are pretty much always enhanced or fiddled with, you can't really express your *True* tone on a forum either - sod the smileys!
    Also, just because a load of kids clicked the kudos button doesn't make you cool.
    They could be a total loser/nasty peice of work in the real world.

So, I spose I try not to - it's not like the judgement is ever going to accurate anyway.
    and if it was, you'd never know it.

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok, every time I have passed by this new thread, all I can hear is Beavis as Cornholio asking in his shrill voice, "Are you threatening me?"

[​IMG]

Edit ~ I think my response to the thread should be answer enough for how much attention I pay to the stuff to the left of the entries.

1 person likes this.
  17. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Ditto. Anime avatars garner an eye-roll from me. It's probably unfair, but I tend to stereotype them as being among the fan-fic-writing, melodramatic variety. Same with blood/chaos/vampire avatars, or people who fixate on the 'depths of their soul being filled with darkness', or similar such irksome sentiments.

Just my personal opinion. And, like it's been said, it's more of an initial impression which changes as I get to know them...

18. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I admit that I tend to take people a little more seriously if they have been around a long time. I look at join dates and post counts. I figure is someone has 5,000 posts, they know how to review and know good from back writing. Someone with 5 posts, I may take with a grain of salt. At least, if they don't like my stuff. LOL As for avatars, I just get confused when people have female anime characters or other girly looking stuff when the person is a dude. It confuses me. It doesn't take a lot to confuse me, I will admit. But, gender-bending avatars confuse me.

19. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Heh, people always think I'm a chick at first, due to my obsession with emeralds. It's... kind of a weird feeling.

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Anime avatars don't tweak me too much until they become really bishōnen. That kinda makes my uneasy.

21. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I generally use an avatar that is some sort of photshopped picture of myself. I have a poppy for veterans day now though.

22. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

No, it is rather pointless and trivial to judge such things since all of it can be misleading; and I only bother with profiles when I'm interested in a person. I try to live without misunderstandings so I avoid quick assumptions and judgments.

23. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

To be honest I find it kind of shallow to judge somebody based on their grammar or avatar... or anything like that.
    Just because somebody has an 'anime' avatar doesn't give anyone the right to denote their intelligence or not take them seriously simply because it doesn't coincide with their more sophisticated interests.
    Same goes for grammar.
    If what a person is saying is polite and sincere, why should they be less respected just because they aren't a dictionary wiz?

This is just my opinion though and I guess to me it just makes people seem like they think they're above others. Don't shoot me! xD

1 person likes this.
  24. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Stupid double post. Dx

25. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

i find it impossible for me not to have some sort of impression from the avatars, profiles and signatures of people. I think it's because my avatar etc represent a part of me on the internet, no matter how small and i'd like to think it's the same with most people.
    I agree with Solaris about the anime avatar thing.