1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
?

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo 2011?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2011.
  1. Yes

53.3%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. Maybe

13.3%
  1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daniel, Oct 28, 2011.

Who here is participating in National Novel Writing Month 2011? I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already (maybe I overlooked it).

For those of you unfamiliar with it, here is the official site. The basic idea is to write a novel in one month by concentrating on quantity, not quality.

I haven't decided whether to participate or not yet, probably not since it'll be especially difficult to find the time.

If a forum was made to discuss NaNoWriMo and track progress, would you participate?

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributing Member Contributor

I'm participating. I may back out due to university work but I'm planning on least giving it a try. It'll be my second time doing it and I've planned my novel more so hopefully I'll do better than last year.

Daniel: If there was a NaNoWriMo dedicated section on here then I probably would participate, if you were thinking of creating one. There's usually a NaNoWriMo thread which is sufficient though (for me anyway).

3. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I'm participating! :)

4. colorthemap

colorthemap Contributing Member

I think I'd forget about it. So I can't promise I will. Not that I have the talent.

5. Sarah G

Sarah G Senior Member

I'm participating too:D

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I think I'll participate. I did ScriptFrenzy one year and got halfway through my script, but then I realized I didn't like the script format and would rather rewrite the story as a novel. That's probably what I'll do for NaNoWriMo this year.

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

This year, I'm not even going to try and fool myself. I won't be doing NaNo this year. I don't have the time, and would rather focus on my short stories. I'd like another acceptance before the end of the year.

Good luck to everyone taking part. I always thought the idea of editing after November was scarier than the actual writing of the first draft.

8. spklvr

spklvr Contributing Member Contributor

I have been looking forward to NaNoWriMo for so long, so it's a great shame that I probably won't be able to make the time for it this year. I will participate, but I already know I won't even get close to the target. It's so typical that I have exams on the 28. and 30. November. Need to study study study.

9. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributing Member Contributor

If I had to fit NaNo in with all the other things I have to do this November, I'd not be able to sleep and lose my mind. Maybe when I'm out of college and don't have finals during the first and second weeks of December.

I'm having more fun with shorties and essays right now too anyway. :)

Good luck to everyone who starts tomorrow though!

10. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I am! :)

11. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe Senior Member

I'll participate in spirit.

There's no way I can get a novel done (even the roughest of drafts) in a month. My 1st one took 55 days (at about 130k words unedited) so I won't even come close. I'll use NaNoWriMo as a jumping off point to be competitive but nothing more than that.

I miss the days of the 50k race. Now there's a deadline I can manage.

12. bekajoi

bekajoi Senior Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    I am participating. Setting aside writing on other main project for the month. Will reserve that for stalling out moments on the other, or already-have-word-count-for-the-day and want to get a mental break from that project.

Definitely a starting point, and mostly getting myself back on track for the daily word count. :)

13. Loopstah

Loopstah New Member

I'm having a go.

First time too, so I'll see how it goes.

14. Arathald

Arathald Contributing Member

First time around for me. We had a midnight kickoff here in Seattle, with the goal of getting our first 1667 out of the way. Not only did I do that, but I also wrote again last night (technically the same day, but not really). Easy way to get ahead, I'm now at 3414. I just hope I can keep it up :)

15. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

me too. I was actually thinking about starting a post on the topic, but then I forgot about it :)

16. Liza

Liza Active Member

It will be hard, but I will try it!

17. bekajoi

bekajoi Senior Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    I "won" on the 24th, officially... I still have a bit of stuff to do before the official end of draft #1.

How did you guys do? :) I'm at 54.5k words right now, and figure my story will be done around 60k, maybe a little before.

18. Pea

Pea super pea!

I attempted but gave up after the first week. Got 13k words done but then decided to work on my fantasy novel instead.

19. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I gave up too, but kept writing and have started the story over since then and written 29 400 words in it. (when I gave up I was at 17000 I think) I just felt that the writing came out really bad because of the time pressure, and I wanted to dedicate more energy and thought on this project, so I decided the novel idea was worth more than NaNo. :) congrats to those of you who completed the 50K!!!

20. Dalouise

Dalouise Contributing Member

I did it and reached the finish line in 2008, 2009 and 2010. I found the third one a bit more of a struggle and decided that three in a row was enough, for now.
    I recently set up as a freelance proofreader so this year I am concentrating on that although on quiet days I will be working on and polishing the more "complete" of the NaNo novels...