1. Raven

Raven Banned

Who Buys Their Mother A Decent Christmas Present

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Dec 12, 2007.

Since my mam has been helping me pack and the yadda yadda I bought her the Katherine jenkins Cd and Katherine Jenkins New DVD for xmas. I had to give her it yesterday before we move for obvious reasons.

And I just wonder who of you buys your Mother a good present for Christmas and what did you buy.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

My mother is getting hers late. Will be next month. But I am getting her and my father 2 nights in a luxurious hotel in the city. They need the time to just relax and get away from my sister and her demands that is for sure.

It's all paid for but booked for next month is all. They don't know yet either. No one does :p

3. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I always try to spoil my mum as best I can. I had more money this year, so I bought her some new kitchen appliances, an iPod Nano, a Siberian Husky calendar and some chocolates. She really deserves it.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I'm giving my Mom her present late. Very late. Its too expensive to ship stuff overseas so her last birthday present, Mothers Day present, Christmas present, and next Mothers Day present are going to be given to her sometime in July or August when I go back home. So far I have some jewelery, a nice scarf, and some nice things picked out. As I see more stuff I think she'll like I'll grab it.
    I also have something nice that will be sent to her on Christmas Day. I think she'll like it. But its a secret.
    I usually try to buy nice things as my budget allows. Unfortunately my budget is usually very small. So this year I'm going kind of all out.

5. Torana

In all honesty I think that our mothers would probably just prefer to get a visit or call or even letter from us just telling them we love them :) (wow that was a corny moment)

6. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Last year, my mum wanted pots. Seeing as though I wasn't going to go out and buy the wrong one, I took a disposable camera, took plenty of photos of various pots, had the photos developed then cut them out and stuck them onto some various colored and styled craft paper, made a little book out of it. In the back I made a pouch that held 2 $50 gift card to the garden center at Miter 10. So she could go pick out her pot without blaming me for getting the wrong one!

This year, she wants another voucher but instead of making up a book, I got a small case, big enough to hold a few ciggerettes in and I will paint a design on it and put the gift card inside. Then wrap the whole lot up! I was going to go with a box but there wasn't one there but a friend spotted the ciggerette type case/tin and now I'm goign to paint it. Various colors and then put a glitter and glow in the dark varnish over it!

7. Torana

sounds awesome DOZ.

8. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Wow very creative.

As mentioneed in another thread, I got my mum two new books lol.

9. Torana

I findit hard to get for mine as she has everything she needs, apart from new heart and lungs :p so I decided to go with the hotel and I also got her decent clothing voucher I forgot about. :) Hard to buy for people who have everything and dont' need anything else really.

10. Gunslinger

Gunslinger New Member

My mother lives in another state. She came up for Thanksgiving, and when she was here we did Christmas with her. We (wife and I) mostly gave her gift certificates, since she's older and has everything its hard to buy for her, plus what ever we gave her she would've had to taken on the plane with her. She basically gave us the thing (gift cert.).

11. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I am really struggling to think of something to buy my mam this crimbo. last year I bought her a new top that she picked and I payed for. I don't know what to buy my dad either as he can't drink and we normally get him some Scotch. any ideas?

Oww, on a side note, I bought my granddad the Katherine Jenkins CD. :p

12. Kit

Lol erm... pass. If you think of anything to get my dad though... let me know.

13. Heather Louise

Haha,, will do. We normally get ours a bottle of Scotch and a new tie. However he has got enough ties to last a life time and like I said, cannot drink. I was thinkin of combining my money with me sisters and buying both my mam and dad a joint pressie. Dunno what though.

14. lessa

lessa New Member

Haven't bought for my mother for years. Usually call and talk to her and listen to how warm it is in Florida.
    This year is going to be hard on her as my father died last february and this is the first christmas she will be alone.
    for a dad. what about a really nice robe and slippers.
    you could get similar ones for your mom. they could be the bobsey twins.
    or a gift certificate for a nice dinner out at a favourite or new restaurant. moms enjoy not cleaning up after a meal once in a while.

15. Heather Louise

Oww, that sounds like a cool idea Lessa, thanks. :)

And My mam has suggested that she wants Zodiac on DVD this year. She is very subtle my mam :p

16. lessa

lessa New Member

moms have learned subtlety gets you guady jewellry or stinky perfume or something the child would really like to have themselves.

17. Heather Louise

Haha, I guess so :p

18. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I go tmy mom a new set of dishes, and I got my mother in law a new sink for her bathroom. i know she likes it because she wanted it a couple months ago but her husband didnt want it. So i talked him into letting me get it for her.
    My mom needs dishes always. I have a lot of clumbsy sibblings. I also always go over there and steal her sishes when she gives me dinner to take home. bahaha.
    Al in all I think I have done well.

19. lessa

lessa New Member

I have always loved getting things for the kitchen. First year we were married Don got me an entire set of cast iron pots. Still have most of them but kept giving them to my son as my arms got worse and I couldn't lift them anymore.
    One year little ones got me all sorts of wooden spoons wisks long handled spoons then with their dad they wrapped them up and they looked like flowers. I thought I was going to be getting a bunch of gawd awful silk flowers. Very nice surprise when I didn't.
    My stipulations on gifts has pretty much always been. no perfume, simple earrings, nothing that has to be dusted, and anything to do with guns. I like the gun paraphernalia the best after kitchen gadgets.
    People look at me funny when I say I got a box of 22 bullets for mothers day or I got a colt magnum for my birthday.
    I think I am a bit unconventional.

20. Kit

What's zodiac about?

I can't get them a shared present 'coz I already got mums... and they're divorced. Lol.

Got my step-dad a little something... just need summat else.

21. yfc54

yfc54 New Member

I'm a father so I am surprised none have you have asked me the simple question" What would you like for Christmas?"

22. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

It's because x mas is about giving...not getting

WHat would you like for x mas? lol

23. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I think it's the film about a serial killer who leaves clues in code, in newspapers, or something like that? I remember I wanted to see it when it came out, at any rate :p

24. Kit

yfc54... what would you like for christmas?

Please don't be a smartarse and tell me that its the thought or love that counts :) I already know that... I just wanna buy him something.

25. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

What happened to the football tickets? :confused: