1. scribbledhopes

scribbledhopes New Member

Did you daydream as a child?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scribbledhopes, Dec 16, 2010.

I did, constantly. I drove my teachers crazy.

I still do, all day long.

I wonder how many accomplished writers share that curse?

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

You know I don't really remember day dreaming as a kid. I am sure I did it, but I just can't remember ever actually doing it. Which makes me wonder what the hell I did during class. Then again perhaps I don't remember because... well does anyone ever really remember such things?

But I do know that I have been day dreaming a lot recently. Well maybe I just think its alot because I don't remember...

Meh.

I wouldn't be surprised if most writers have/had a day dream problem at some point in their lives. :p

3. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

I still do... 0_o I used to fantasise a lot, daydream, everything else... it helped me escape boredom and get into my characters' heads. Now I use it as a treat or therapy: when things get tough or before I settle down to sleep, I decide on something to think about and just go and live in that world for a while... :)

4. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Don't remember if I did as a kid, but I'm awesome at it now! It's a bit irritating at times, like when I have to study, but I wouldn't want it any different. :)

5. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I have actual dreams while I'm awake. The kind that you don't have any control over.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Of course I daydreamed as a kid. I still daydream. That's normal, isn't it?

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I have stories in my head not sure it is daydreaming as such though doesn't stop me doing other things.

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I daydreamed when I was younger and I still daydream.

9. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

I daydream and nightdream all the time. Daydreams are great for stories, because I can make them make sense. My nightdreams are always the most exciting though, probably because they are so unpredictable. They always make sense, and at the same time don't make any sense. It's pretty great.

I also have inbetween dreams. It's where I'm at a point where I'm still sleeping, yet at the same time awake. These can be pretty creepy, because I'm putting stuff from my dream world into the real world. It feels a little bit like hallucinating.

Does anyone else ever have these inbetween dreams? My experiences range from someone standing beside my bed, to dozens of furry little hamsters crawling all over and underneath the blankets. The furry little hamsters make me freeze up, because I'm afraid that if a roll over I'll squish one of them. But when I turn on the light, I can't find any.

10. cmcpress

cmcpress New Member

that sounds cool - what kind of dreams? Like lucid dreams? Hallucinations? Is that scary?

Yup - as for me - a perpetual daydreamer. I view it as a bit of a curse actually.

11. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Exactly. Who didn't daydream as a child? Who doesn't daydream now? :confused:

12. Newfable

Newfable New Member

I'm a big daydreamer.

Side effects may include overactive imagination, loss of attention, loss of hearing, forgetfulness, loss of direction, and no knowledge of what you've been doing for the past 15 minutes.

13. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

I don't have time to daydream any more :p (... Nah kidding.)
    But I did as a kid. I was always a million miles away in fantasy land.
    The difference is that now I can do that and use it as a creative force, back then I was told off.

14. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Ditto. What a question!

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nope... never did... however, i always did have a vivid imagination... and i'd sometimes consciously play out scenes in my head... but not as 'daydreams' per se...

16. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

the same kinds of dreams that I have at night. Except I'm awake. Not lucid, and they're generally not hallucinations. It's hard to explain. It's like the very front of my mind can continue operating on the IRL stuff (like driving. It happens ALL the time while I drive) but I'm completely absorbed in a dream.

17. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm 21-years-old and still daydream! Every day I think about my characters, new stories, new things they could do.

18. SusieQ

SusieQ New Member

LOL....I can daydream while I am talking to someone or the other way around. When I was 5 I would daydream as the teacher speak...and I think I dreamed away my kindergarten and 1st grade.

19. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

Inbetween dreams... Once or twice. It was kind of trippy. Of course, everything I thought of during that time seemed really stupid and slightly insane a while after I woke up. As for daydreams, I think a lot of people confuse what those actually are.

20. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    As a child? Hah! Day-dreaming is my life. This post is probably the result of me day-dreaming :p

21. ElvenSorceress

ElvenSorceress New Member

Why is the question as a child? Is this something I should have grown out of!?! lol I am a constant daydreamer, some of my best novel ideas have come out of it. Plot creation, characters, ways to fix that one paragraph that never sounded quite right, I would possibly go insane if I didn't still daydream. :p

22. Sham

Sham New Member

Once I daydreamed about writing a book about people who ride on spiders. And Dragons. And Scorpions. A whole series sorta. I once wasted half and hour trying to figure something out, because I was daydreaming.

23. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

I daydreamed all the time about ridiculous things, especially in grade school, like what I would do if I could jump out of the window and fly away from school. That would have been kick-ass, I didn't care much for school. Now I just wait until I'm asleep since I have to take seizure pills. Those give me crazy dreams! Who knew the subconscious mind could be so creative

24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I once daydreamed about a guy who was half Sayian who had magical powers. He trained with the Z warriors including Master Roshi in how to harness every ounce of his powers. His best friends were Goku, Krillin, and Gohan.

Yes, I was watching DBZ when I did this.

And I still have that inner self telling me that it'd make for an awesome TV/book series. A campy one, sure, but awesome and action-packed.

25. Sham

Sham New Member

I think I would be great for coming up with TV shows/movie ideas...