1. Fox

Fox New Member

Arm and wrist function question

Discussion in 'Research' started by Fox, Jun 3, 2009.

If you were shot through the wrist from about 2 meters with a 9mm pistol, what effect would that have on your arm and hand function?

I've looked it up through google, but couldn't find any definite answers.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Also, would you be able to recover from such a wound?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, I did find a resource book, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques by Vincent J. M. Di Maio. It's expensive, but there's a sizeable excerpt online.

My search phrase was gunshot wounds arm, and that is what I found right away. There were also many clinical resources brought up by the search I didn't wade through.

The damage would depend on several factors - to start with, whether the bullet is jacketed or hollow-tipped. Also, whether it struck bone, or severed an artery or ligaments, etc.

Consider visiting a hospital with a trauma center, and asking your question there. You may find someone with the time to spend a few minutes going over scenarios with you, especially if you can pass along that information to readers. I'm sure they would want the public to understand how much damage one little bullet can cause.