1. Vik

Vik New Member

Major Help Needed. (idea)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Vik, Jan 19, 2010.

Hi all.
    I am obviously new here so firstly i just want to say hello to all the people in this forum and send my best wishes to all of you on the net.

Now, I don't know how this really works (the forum), but I think I will get the help needed.
    I am an amateur writer (actually if this idea works, it will be my first ! ), and I have an idea, but I want an opinion from more experienced writers, as I believe are on this forum. I want to know if the idea (if properly developed) could attract the readers.

I will only tell a small plot because for now, that is all I got.

It would probably be something about a cop who is arrogant and wants to climb the social ladder, but is devoted to his job and especially fights against drugs (something about family/emotional background). In order to get to the higher social levels he would have to give up all his moral and ethics and even try drugs himself... and than it turns into a (non)typical drug addict story, and the main character dies at the end (from drugs) .

I am really sorry if this "discussion" gives a false image of my writing skills, but English is not my native language... :)
    Also I would like to discuss the influence of "bad translation" and how to incorporate it into my "book to be" . I am surrounded with books and movies in English, and I often find some good lines. But even if translated properly they lose their sense and look cheap.
    If you have some advice please do not hesitate to write it here. :) (but first tell me what do you think about my idea :) )

Thank you all in advance, and sorry if this discussion ended up a "little longer" than i expected.

:D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. Vik

Vik New Member

Wow.. thanks. it is very nice of you to help me and i am grateful of such a good advice. OK... so just write the book and be myself huh? ok... we'll see what happens... ;)

And I've read your post about plot creation. ! Impressive. I sure does unveil lot's of "writing mysteries" now.! ! :)
    Thank you again.