1. Drayzon

Drayzon Member

A Scientist Novel

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Drayzon, May 10, 2011.

I am embarking on writing a novel on a mad scientist, only problem is, I've never done it and don't know how to. :(

I just want to know if you guys and girls can either:

(1) Show me how to do it, with pointers, ideas, etc.

(2) Let me know about novels I can read that are similar to what I'm trying to do.

(3) Lead me to a thread already on this board that I overlooked or was just too lazy to look for:redface: OR...

(4) A combination of the three.

I really appreciate any and all help. Thank you much.

2. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

You could try writing a story about something you do know about so that half of the work is done.

1 person likes this.
  3. Drayzon

Drayzon Member

How is this going to help

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It will help more than you know.

5. Drayzon

Drayzon Member

Alright I'm missing it, obviously. Am I not supposed to ask for help. How is writing something other than what I'm trying to write going to help me write what I'm actually trying to write. Maybe I'm a little slow, but could you elaborate.

6. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

You've all ready admitted to not knowing anything about mad scientists, presumably. So because of this lack of knowledge, you're trying to ask people for help in writing your novel. But then...if I knew something about mad scientists and I thought it would make a great novel, why would I tell you about it? I could be giving a best seller away to someone else.

So, lamentably the only suggestion I can offer is to search your knowledge and experiences, find something that's unique to you and write about that instead.

7. Earlychop

Earlychop Member

lol bite

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

More to the point, you havde a story idea that you have no idea how to approach, and no way to judge how well you are succeeding if you give it a try.

By starting with something you know, you can develop your writing and storytelling skills. Then when you are more confident about how to approach a story, you can focus on fleshing out those aspects you don't really know well, like mad scientists.

You're looking for someone to tell you how to blaze a route though the wild forests when you haven't yet learned to follow a marked day-hiker's trail.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and you're asking others to do what you could and should be doing on your own!

not a good start for one who supposedly wants to be a writer... real writers do their own research, come up with their own ideas, and do their own writing...

here's my advice:

READ!

find books/stories about mad scientists [google and amazon are your best friends!] and see how it's been done by others... doing that should get you answers to all of your questions...

love and hugs, maia [who is, fyi, many decades past being a 'girl']

10. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

(1) Show me how to do it, with pointers, ideas, etc.

Come up with a story you want to tell. Develop a plot. Write it. Its just like any other story. How you write it is up to you. It depends on your writing style.

(2) Let me know about novels I can read that are similar to what I'm trying to do.

Read Jules Vern stuff. There is also Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

(3) Lead me to a thread already on this board that I overlooked or was just too lazy to look for OR...

Not sure what you want.

11. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

A mad scientist is simply stock character of popular fiction, to begin google the term then start writing some scenes where you can get an idea of your mad scientist will act and react. these scenes you write very well may never be used but could loom large in your creating a memorable character

start studying the concept of drama, look for the paths that offers the most conflict, the most drama...ya dig ?

12. wicked_poppies

wicked_poppies New Member

You can’t just poop a good story out…. YOU need to do research, and YOU need to create a plot, and YOU need to be willing to put in the time to make your story good. This forum is for help, but not that much help. If you don’t know how to start your story, or what happens in it, or who the characters are (besides a mad scientist), then you don’t really have a story, or even a premise of a story. A story is a series of events that happen to your characters. Right now it just seems like you have the most basic template created for your MC. You have a lot more work to do yourself before we can help you.

13. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

In addition to what everyone else has said, you need to come up with a plot and the characters first. Without those basic things, you don't even have a story to write. An idea is nothing if you can't put it to paper.

Frankstein is a good example of a mad scientist. So is The Island of Doctor Moreau. Both novels have mad scientist characters, but they are very different. There isn't a written formula you follow and viola! You have a mad scientist! :( You need to create the character and figure out why he would be considered a mad scientist. A good exercise would be to figure out why Dr. Frankenstein and Dr. Moreau are considered mad scientists.

1 person likes this.
  14. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I would agree with Ellipse (I hope I spelled your name right), that without characters you cannot write a good story. Well, you can, but it would be a bit tough in the long run. And like everyone else said, your best bet is to write the story out first and then showcast it to someone to see how they would perceive it. You'll need to conduct research on your own before asking someone else for research first. A researcher's best adviser is the writer.

15. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Agreed. I read and come up with what is probably the right science then post it on the forum and have people tell me why or why it is not a good plan. To have others do it for me just does not feel right. Its like I am cheating and I don't get as much satisfaction out of my writing. IT should be fun not a writing assignment that you are cramming for in the last second. The research is half of the fun or at least it is for me.

16. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

A cool idea with the mad scientist character would be to break the archetype mold, rather than the over-used loon (white lab coat,beedy eyes, googles on top of einstein hair) would be a blonde haired blue eyed clean cut madman, the kind of dude that would be suspected of such depravity

17. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

Aye. Can everybody please stop with this illusion that scientists wear lab coats? Apart from the chemists, I don't think anybody does. :p And even the chemists only do it when they're in the lab, mixing things.

18. Drayzon

Drayzon Member

I apologize to everyone who responded to this ridiculous thread.

I was upset about something and I wasn't thinking right. No excuses, but...

I know exactly how to go about writing this novel. :( I just didn't feel like thinking. I was lazy. I was selfish. I mean I'm looking at it now a day later and I'm astonished that this was actually written. Please forgive me all for wasting your time.

I'm sorry I wasted space on this board.

Moderators, please remove it.:redface: