Art of Rejection

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by EchoPark, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Drew78

Drew78 New Member

I agree with these posts, and Chicken Freak had some especially good points. I will add one quick thing. Get published somewhere and as often as possible. Agents are far more likely to take you seriously if you can say, "I have a manuscript, and it's really great. By the way, here is a list of my previous publishing credits."

If others are willing to publish you, it says a few things about you:

1. You write publishable material.
    2. An agent can take you seriously as a writer because you take yourself seriously enough to pursue publication on your own.
    3. If your publication credits are reasonably extensive, it says you're a prolific writer and not simply writing one book in hopes of getting it published and never working again.

Everything I have read says that agents love to look for partnerships in their writers, but they have to have a reason to invest in you. Your writing is only part of that. Your "job history" is equally important.

Drew

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

keep in mind that only paid credits will impress them... don't mention freebies unless they're highly respected literary journals that at least 'pay' in copies...