1. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

Article: Idea Debt

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by KevinMcCormack, Feb 2, 2016.

From blogger Jessica Abel.

Link: [idea debt]

Subtitle: Imagining your future projects is holding you back.

Pull quote:

jannert and A.M.P. like this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I don't quite take it to that extent. I know for a fact that I am not going to be the 'next big thing'. Although, I do tend to carry a severe imaginational debt, because I tend to have way to many ideas of what my story could do. Ultimately I try to reign it in so that it does not stray from the realism and direction it is headed in already. Taking time out to work on smaller works, to pay the imagination Tax Man. :p

Personally I think that putting the cart before the horse is bad for moral, as their is a severely high chance that it will not be worth a damn to any publisher/agent. After already pulling said stunt, and getting a strange rejection letter stating that my novel doesn't meet their 'needs'. I have questioned the possibility of ever achieving such a goal as to whether I even have a chance at attaining such status. On the lighter side I have been mulling over the idea to send that publisher back a letter telling them to get one of those high tech vibrators, cause clearly their owner is down about something and clearly dissatisfied in more ways than one. :D

MrsK likes this.
  3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I hear this sort of thing a lot from coworkers and friends.
    Where I talk about my writing and they tell me they always wanted to write a story and had so many good ideas but never executed on it.
    Either they can't find the time or don't know how.

Most of them, it's probably just a little want that creeps up now and then.
    Just like at times I want to be a monk with a ten year vow of silence.

Just silly dreams.

But I do carry massive idea debt.
    I spend more time fantasizing on what my project is and what I want it to be and what the next one will be than actually getting it done.
    No, I'm not a standstill. I'm almost done.
    But... It literally didn't have to have taken so long because finishing it, and claiming it as my own, is too scary because it will never live up to what I have in my head and I'm scared that it will fail because of that.

Isn't that crazy?

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I reckon time spent picturing your story itself is never wasted. It gives you a very clear idea of what you are imagining, and you get to know your characters, your setting, are able to imagine plot twists, etc. But you do have to actually write as well. In fact, once you start writing, the imagining becomes even easier and the plot and characters more focused and things really start to flow.

Enjoy the journey of writing, and don't become too fixated on the end result. Getting it perfect will take more time and effort than you probably want to think about at the start. But the good news is, you CAN get there. And when you do, there will be no feeling more satisfying than 'having written.' You did it. You finished a story. Now the real work starts. You've got to be realistic about what you wrote and be willing to knock it into shape, but now you've got the raw materials in place. It's more than an idea now. It's a real thing.

As for dreaming of fame and fortune before you start ...well, probably not a good idea. Aside from the time-wasting, it might lead to to making silly statements to friends and relations, about how you're going to be 'big,' how much money you're going to make, how you're going to quit your job and just sit in your millionaire's mansion and write. They'll never let you forget it.

Cave Troll likes this.