Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradbradallen

bradbradallen Member

As an unpublished writer, is it better to write or revise?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by bradbradallen, Aug 27, 2012.

Hello All,

I apologize for making 2 threads in rapid succession. 2 unrelated questions that merit their own thread.

So, I've been writing since 6th grade (I'm in my Junior year of University now), and I've always heeded the advice of my best friend when it comes to writing. He's always told me to not stop and revise; rather, keep writing new ideas.

Do you think there is merit to that? In my other thread, I mentioned the fact that I feel I'm losing the ability to write. Here, however, I will address whether my whole philosophy of writing is a good one or not. Even if I've written, say, 10,000 words, I just keep chugging along because writing is better than editing until I have the "perfect" idea - or so I've been told.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I disagree with your friend. I do agree that writing and revising should be separate, and that you shouldn't always be stopping to improve your first rough draft. But writing and revising are both important skills that should be practiced. When a draft is done, or when you've written a good chunk of material, I think that it's worthwhile to revise whether or not that material comes from the "perfect" idea.

3. TrinityRevolution

TrinityRevolution Member

I find that if an idea is falling flat I have zero motivation to go on, let alone revise.

Personally, I'd ditch the ideas that aren't opening the flood gates and find one that does.

I often feel I'm losing the ability, but it depends on the time of day and my emotional state.

4. idle

idle Active Member

What if you never come accross the perfect idea? Or what if you fail to recognize it under the rough edges of the first draft? Even if you have a lot of ideas, don't wait for the perfect one, pick the best one of them instead and see if you can improve it.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

There are, as always with writing, different methods that work for different writers. I could no more write a complete draft and then start revising than I could shoot my dog. The question to ask is not "Am I doing this right?" but rather "Is this working for me?".

As to the "perfect idea" - no idea what that would be. I work with the ideas I come up with, warts and all.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

See the stickied thread, What's your writing process?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.