1. Jimfoxx

Jimfoxx New Member

Any Animal Fiction Lovers Out There?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jimfoxx, Jun 3, 2011.

Hi, just checking to see if any one else out there likes to write or read animal fiction. And also, if anyone would just tell me their opinion on the genre that would be good too.

2. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

I'm a cat. Sometimes I like to write about humans....

3. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

I've read some animal fiction works.

Mostly by David Clement-Davis. I haven't read a lot of their works. But the few stories I did read I loved.

I find that animal fiction is a nice twist to the usual range of stories I read.

And on a side note, I may not be entirely sure if David Clement-Davis is actual animal fiction. But that's how the local library files him as genre wise.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Jack London's The Call of the Wild is one of the best books I've read. Animal fiction is pretty good if it's written well. :)

5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen New Member

@ Silverwolf: The Sight and Fire Bringer?

Fire Bringer was one of my favourite books from childhood, and it still has a place of honour on my 'favourites' shelf. :D Of course, Call of the Wild and White Fang I read too; though perhaps I read them too early because I found them difficult and I really didn't want to read them again. I also really liked Watership Down, and when I was younger the Warrior Cats books.

Hmm, if you think about it though; animal fiction can be just as bloody, gruesome and horrifying as regular stuff.

(my sister refused to finish reading Fire Bringer because she was so disturbed by Sgorr's little massacre of the lera... ah... and him eating the baby's heart- that gave me nightmares, lol)

Err, to answer your question: animal fiction is great and can be just as poignant as anything written with humans as MCs. I love animals, so I also enjoy reading about them; IF the author can portray them convincingly enough!

(One issue I had with Warrior Cats was that... well... cats are solitary... it didn't make sense to me for them to be congregating in large groups- but ey, after all it's fiction. The younger me was so very persnickety...)

6. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Is animal fiction a genre? Surely Animal farm is not the same genre as a Dick King Smith? Just for the record I hate animal fiction. You know why? It's about people, all animal fiction is just exploring human interaction under a different guise - except, animals are real. They have something different and simplistic about them and I don't like it when others enforce human personalities and goals on them. People are people, they have their good sides and bad, and none of them adapt to animals very well.

Stray was about the only half desent animal novel I've read and that was when I was 10. Also I was in general just grotesquely fascinated by the bit when he was captured by animal experimenters.

7. Jimfoxx

Jimfoxx New Member

@Ice Queen
    yeah Fire Bringer had some pretty distrurbing stuff...and what you said about Warriors is definately true. Me, I tend to prefer realistic animal fiction which is why I did alot of research for the book I'm writing, but I then figured that I didn't have to be 100% scientifically accurate I mean it is fiction.

But anyway thanks, it is nice to know that other people think animal fiction can be as good as the normal stuff.

8. Jimfoxx

Jimfoxx New Member

9. darkhaloangel

Yes, in general that would be good if you could invent a machine and plug it into an animals brain so it could grasp language and be able to write. But as ii is, animal fiction is merely a human pretending to be an animal talking about human problems.

Talking animals give us humans an idea of how they feel? Yes, but talking animals aren't real!

10. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

I think that if handled well, any genre is worth reading. Cutesy talking animals in print feels awkward, but I guess if it was in the hands of a capable writer it could be entertaining.

11. Jimfoxx

Jimfoxx New Member

yeah but that's why its fiction
    lets just agree to disagree

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

jim...
    so, are you wanting to be the next beatrix potter, anna sewell, chandler harris, jack london, or richard addams?...

or do you have an 'animal farm' or 'dr. doolittle' type thing in mind?

i've enjoyed reading all of the above, at one time or another... so definitely might be interested in reading a well-written 'animal fiction'... i like our fellow critters a lot better than humans, anyway! ;-)

13. Jimfoxx

Jimfoxx New Member

Well, I definitly want to be published one day and animal fiction is what I feel comfortable doing. And while I doubt I could measure up to any of those names you mentioned I guess its basically the same concept. Though it is generally the same concept as Fire Bringer, Silver Wing, Raven Quest and other such books.

and yeah I think animals are alot cooler than humans too :D

14. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Other than Call of the Wild, White Fang, Watership Down and Animals of Farthing Woods, I haven't really read a lot of animal fiction. I am writing one though. Based on all the dogs in my neighborhood. The story is far from realistic as it revolves around a group of dogs that solve crimes, but I still try to make the dogs act like dogs would... if they solved crime.
    And although I am writing it for children, some of the stories (it's kind of a collection of short-stories about the same dogs) are very dark.

15. darkhaloangel

I think that animal fiction can be beautiful, heart renching etc all those things - but it is because they are examining the animal emotions and relations with a human mind.

Real animals have just basic needs, food, drink, sex - all of which probably won't make for an interesting book, plots would be simplistic.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that all anthropomorphised animals lack ecological validity.

Animals in stories with humans however are a different kettle of fish. Humans tend to them write animal characters after their own pets. They have a much higher level of ecological validity.

Perhaps, don't post a thread asking people what they think of animal fiction if you are just going to dismiss anyone who does not agree with you. There are some very interesting points up for debate. Portrayal of animals is interesting in a discusion on animal fiction.

16. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

@Ice Queen: Yes, those were the books I was talking about.
    Fire Bringer was dark but it was a really good read. I was completely shocked about the heart bit, in fact I dropped the book when I read it.

Also, Brain Jacques is indeed a very popular animal fiction writer. His Redwall series is just some of the best things I read. At times it's hard to remember that you're actually following the tale of a mouse and other animal characters.

And yes, I'll admit that it is true that most animal fiction novels are merely the writers giving animals human emotions. But not all writers do this. I have read some good authors who write animal fiction and actually keeps the animals, animals.