1. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

As Nero fiddles, Rome burns (in Washington DC)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NaCl, Sep 29, 2008.

Nancy Pelosi fails in leadership. Bush fails in leadership. Democrats blame Republicans. Republicans blame Democrats. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac gave (under the leadership from Senator Barny Frank) countless home loans to people who had no ability to repay them. Adjustable rate mortgages, linked to the prime rate, encouraged people to buy far more "house" than they could afford. Then, it happened. The Federal Reserve began raising the prime rate about 18 months ago and the A.R.M. mortgages began defaulting as their interest rates adjusted. The financial avalanche slowly broke free from the mountain top, gaining momentum. All along the way, Wall Street executives rolled in money, laughing . . . they got theirs.

It is time for the people of this country to take charge. How are we going to do it?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

:confused: Ah... viva la revolution?

PS: Elect me for president :p. How much worse could I be right :rolleyes:?

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

You will all bow before the Grand Emperor of Earth (me) and I will usher in a new era of peace and plenty for all (most) of humanity.

4. NaCl

Excerpt from the US Declaration of Independence:

". . . when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

Are we there yet? Does incompetence and self-serving by our elected officials count as despotism?

(Yes. I am mad as Hell!)

5. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I hate to say it, but I blame the citizens of the U.S. more than the politicians. They are the ones that put Bush and all the others into power. You have politicians that lie, and only seem to care about protecting their job rather than doing their job, but what do the people do? They elect the same group of people back into power almost every time. This government exists in its current state because the people have allowed it to get this bad, and I don't see them doing anything about it anytime soon.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

That's going a bit too far. Sure the government here sucks and it screws up a lot more than it should but we aren't living in a depotism. The US Gov doesn't break in doors and trample all over civil liberties (And no one say US Patriot Act to counter that because I have ten different ways to throw the claims of it trampling civil liberties back in the pointless statement bin).

The US is too apathetic to its leaders and too critical. Should they be better? Yes. Are they horrible leaders? Most of them. Do we need a revolution? No. Like Shadow Dragon said we still have as citizens electoral authority. If you don't like the guys there now stop bitch'n about our horrible leaders and vote for someone else or help another group of leaders get elected.

I suggest reading Heinlein's Revolt in 2100 (unless you've already read it of course). All governments of history can be examined, and found lacking.

7. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

I agree.
    Picture the U.S as a chicken. The body, feet and arms are the people and its governement. The head, however are our possesions and (you guessed it) MONEY. If you cut off the chickens head, sure it'll run around like crazy for a while, and eventually tumble to the ground. By completely ^&%&%% up our economy, it has driven us into utter despair- and sure, they're not breaking down doors and violating our rights- but they aren't doing their job.

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I would say part of the problem is with the fact that so many of the congressional districts have been set up such that very few are actually competitive, thus not really offering a choice.

The second mistake was switching to the election of senators via popular vote.

Third would be the repeated liberal interpretation of the commerce clause, thus greatly strengthening the power of the federal government.

Fourth would be the citizenry focused on voting for what will benefit them specifically--in benefits and entitlements--not looking for the greater good, or looking for the easy way instead of working harder and taking care of problems (that they could) by themselves.

It took a long time to get into this, and will not work out quickly. My first suggestion would be for stricter interpretation of laws, especially the Constitution and not read into it what isn't there, or rule based on political whims of the time (ie at the Federal Appeals and Supreme Court Level). For example: The recent rulings on Eminent Domain. Now, if the local government determines that your property could earn more tax revenue if it were used in another fashion...they can oust you from your home and 'give' it to a developer. I really don't think that was what the founders intended with respect to taking property for the greater good of the community...which was originally for things such as railroads, schools, etc.

A bailout that simply turns over more power...more control over the private sector to the already inept government...like that's a winning proposition.

Terry

9. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

someplace that isn't actually a place but actually
    we're not, we're all screwed!

10. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Anyone have a machine that'll bring Reagan back to life? :confused:

11. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

No but if I did, i'd bring the founding fathers back to life instead. I'm sure they'd be so angry they'd march down to Washington and give the young'ns a stern talking too... a major face slapping it'll depend :p

12. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, I bet Bush'd be shaking in his boots when George, Thomas, Benjamen, and the rest of the crew are knocking at his door. :p

13. NaCl

Solve these three problems and our government would work just fine:

1) Gerrymandering - eliminate it! No more split counties, divided cities, etc.

2) Career politicians - eliminate them: 2 terms and OUT!

3) Campaigns (President, Senator, Representative): two parts.

3A) Contributions - every candidate who comes up with 1 million signatures, gets a fixed allocation from the government for their entire political "season" and when it is gone, they're done! Illegal to receive anymore contributions and illegal for third parties, including talk shows, Hollywood, TV "specials", etc. to engage in surrogate campaigning.

3B) Campaign "season". Four months - not a day longer.

14. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Over here, the political parties can only start campaigning when an election is called, which in the case of a General Election gives them only a month or two, and probably a bit longer for a bye-election. Over there, the campaigning never really ends, so the whole thing seems like one constant political propaganda drive...

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'd be willing to chip in towards a muzzle for Pelosi. And maybe a good choke collar too. Her indulgence in a rabid partisan rant at that crucial moment was apparently a major factor in the bill's defeat. Where everyone was doing their best to work together, her ill-chosen self-indulgent whining polarized the vote.

16. NaCl

Here's a frightening thought . . . Pelosi is the "best and brightest" that California can produce! Ouch!