Asili- A New beginning

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Love to Write, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Matt Garter

Matt and their new scout, led the small scavenging party through the ruins, a stretch of a dead forest and within a few hours they had caught up the caravan. They had stopped outside a thicker and greener part of the forest. As the new girl introduced herself and her pets to the caravan Matt addressed his 2nd in command. “Lieutenant, our mission went well and we picked up a scout. She’ll come in handy, I’m sure.”
    “That’s good to hear Colonel.” Lt. Smith then nodded his head towards the forest. “Do we want to cut straight through or go around?”
    “Going around would take too long.” He glanced back at the patients that the doctor was now administering the penicillin too. “We need to get to an Oasis before we run out of supplies. Perhaps we’ll even find some good hunting in here.”
    Lt. Smith nodded and checked his weapon.

Colonel Garter turned and addressed the caravan. “We are about to travel through a thick part of this forest. Considering its foliage there is a high possibility that mutant creatures have taken up residence in here. Make as much noise as possible, stick close together and watch one another’s backs. The oasis is just on the other side. Let’s move!”

Colonel Garter beckoned their scout to his side and after allowing the panther to take the first steps inside he began leading the rest of the group, weapon in hand.

Whisper sniffed the ground fervently. A strange scent caught his attention. He moved forward quickly, with Naomi beside him, following the trail to its source. It wasn’t long before they saw a strange sight. They had stopped outside a clearing and hid in the foliage. A group of animals sat or lay in a semicircle. There was a monkey, a tiger, a dog, a cat, and bear. They wore strange blue collars around their throats. Human voices were emitted from the group even though there were no humans in the gathering. Naomi beckoned Matt to her and they watched the creatures from their hiding places.
    “How can you not like deer? They are the tastiest creatures!” A light on the tiger’s collar flashed.
    “Deer!? What is deer compared to bananas!? I miss bananas. I haven’t had one since our master’s death.” The monkey slapped his hands on the ground.
    “I heard human tastes pretty good, though master always taught us not eat them.” The dog piped in, his collar flashing as he spoke.

The animals spoke in their own language but the collars seemed to translate what they said. Each had an individual voice.
    “How are they doing that? Reasoning, I mean. I guess can figure how the collars could translate the individual animal’s language but how are they thinking? Talking in sentences? “She asked.
    “I don’t know. Maybe the radiation somehow affected their brains. Now they can reason like us. Remarkable! However this makes them much more dangerous if they decide to attack.”

2. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Kyra Shade

Kyra leaned against the back of the wooden door, clutching her heaving chest. She was safe and alive, at least for the time being. After a few seconds of steady breathing, Kyra collected herself and began looking around the strange house. The floorboards creaked beneath her as she walked over to a small table, that was stained with a dark substance. Next to it was a metal storage box, and a set of stairs that led up to another story. Besides that, there wasn’t much to the place. No one had probably used it in years, or the bombings had made the previous owner flee. Kyra sighed, thinking of her own mansion that had been left to broken timbers and ashes; it was a wonder that this building was still standing.

A high-pitched whimper ripped the still silence, thrusting Kyra back into reality. She jumped, cold chills running down her spine. More throaty growling and barking followed. She rushed over to the small front window, her curiosity swallowing up her fear. Kyra’s eyes widened. "What in the name of..." She trailed off, witnessing the scene.

About three feet away, the mutant dog was wrestling with another creature…or was the creature wrestling with the dog? They seemed to be having a showdown, circling about, and their eyes locked onto each other. The mutant dog suddenly took its chance, pouncing at the other creature, but was instantly killed in mid-flight. With its claws, the creature had made a clean slice through the dog’s throat, making it fall into its own blood. Kyra backed away from the window when the creature turned in her direction, waiting and watching for any more threats. Its tail swished in the breeze, ready for anything.

Kyra peeked out once more to see to if the creature had fled from the scene. Instead, it stood on two legs, walking towards her, to the safe house.

Kyra’s thoughts raced in her head, unsure of what to do. She knew she couldn’t just go out and greet the thing, especially with her gut feeling that it wasn’t friendly. Her fate could easily end up like that dog's if she revealed herself. She scanned the house frantically, looking with fresh eyes for anyplace that she could hide. Her eyes landed on the metal box in the corner. Kyra didn’t think twice about it, and ran over to it, flipping up the lid. Not until she stuffed herself inside, did she intake that putrid smell. The smell of death.

3. W.H. Clay

W.H. Clay New Member

Senshi walked along guiding his donkey with a length of rope attached to his harness. As the warrior walked he heard a faint rustle from the shrubbery behind them, without another thought his grip shifted on his staff and his eyes darted to his side. He watched the the shadows until a dark figure began to emerge, the figure stumbled forward cracking a discarded branch causing the woman to his left to spin around unsheathing a dagger, which she lowered immediately when she realized it was a human. Senshi smiled and shifted his gaze forward once more...

"You alright? You looked like the devil was after you."

As they walked along the warrior listened closely to the woman's exchange and when they decided to go to the front Senshi followed them unnoticed. They may have been better off with a mutant coming through those bushes, Sophie could be much more dangerous...

"Jaxo...this Sophie. She's just joined our caravan."

The caravan stopped when Jaxo did, as was its custom. To avoid being noticed the Senshi walked around to the side of his donkey facing away from Jaxo and made himself busy feeding donkey.

"Sophie, huh. I'm amazed this war left something as pretty as you alive."

Senshi kept his head bowed but occasionally casting glances to the four men around Jaxo and the fifth standing behind a group of huddled caravaners farther back in the pack. That is probably the smartest thing Jaxo has ever done, no one ever notices the fifth man, and he is one hell of a shot.

"So what skills, other then your looks, do ya have that makes you worthy of joining my caravan?"

The girls may have noticed him as a warrior but none of Jaxo's men have, and Senshi likes it that way. They like to give him a hard time but it lets him fly under the radar...

"Hey! what are you looking at!?" One of Jaxo's men noticed him looking around, this one had a particularity bad temper and didn't like outsiders very well, he blames the other nations for this war. His name is Bronco...

"I'm talking to you china-man," Bronco walked up to Senshi shouting, the scene was barely enough to get Jaxo's eyes off of Sophie, but Senshi just kept his head down.

"Boy you better look at me when I talk to you!" Bronco shoved Senshi to the floor causing him to scatter his handful of oats across the ground. Donkey walked dumbly between the fighting and nuzzled at the oats in the dirt.

"Stupid Mule! Get out of the Way!" Bronco was getting angry and in his rage he reared back to kick donkey. Senshi who was watching silently from the ground quickly slid his staff along the dirt road stopping in-between Bronco's feet, when his leg came crashing down to field goal donkey it got caught on the staff and caused Bronco's leg to cave in on themselves. The scene was hilarious from the outside causing Jaxo first and then his goons to laugh hysterically.

Bronco bounced up in embarrassed rage with a renewed fever to punish the outsider. Senshi got up slowly calculating his next step.

"China-man you always leave your sticks lying around!?" Senshi rose from his knees just in time to catch his staff in the mouth, Senshi fell back to the ground and rolled over to his back holding his arms over his face and neck.

Wack! Wack! Wack!

"Don't ever look at me again! and don't ever look at our women again!" Bronco was red and spitting has he yelled bringing the staff down over and over again, a piercing crack running through the bones of everyone in the caravan each time the wood hit skin and bone.

Years of training made Senshi strong and chiseled. Torture training taught him how to ignore the pain and brace for each impact. Underneath his arms his face was stony, not a single emotion on display.

Wack!

***********************​

Snap!
    Crack!
    Snap!
    Crack!

"You must hit your opponent harder then he hits you each time!" The blade-master shouted at his students. Not students anymore but Senshi, spread before him were 8 trained killers bare chested with welts and cuts. The each had a partner and a four foot bamboo stalk. One partner would raise his arms and try his best to prepare for the blow, The other would strike has hard as he could in his opponents midsection. Then they would switch.

Snap!
    Crack!

The relative silence was disturbed by a young man who fell to his knees in agony, clutching his chest. The blade-master ran to the young man and yanked him to his feet by his top knot. The face of the young man was familiar...

"Im afraid you pull us all down Senshi, You need a little more practice."

The blade-master ordered the young warrior to be bound to a nearby tree. His hands were tied and stretched above his head. The stretch was entirely too extreme for him to adequately brace for the impact of the bamboo sticks. This was not practice it was punishment...

"Begin!" The blade-master's eyes shone with rage but his face remained perfectly still.

The seven other Senshi lined up next to the young man and each took a turn assaulting the hanging man. With his arms fully stretched his ribs were visible, and three bones down on his left side his rib was broken leaving a jagged impression in his skin. The agony that made this warrior speak..... But that was the last time. With each hit the young warrior stared into the eyes of his master not even a hint of emotion.

Sap!
    Crack!
    Snap!
    Crack!

On and on this went until the bamboo was reduced to coarse threads of wood and bark that acted like whips against his skin. Finally the warrior gave out. His glare fell from the blade-master and the young warrior faded into darkness.

"Enough."

************************************​

Wack!
    Wack!
    Wack!

Jaxo was still laughing as he watched the defenseless china-man get beaten, it wasn't until he noticed the women's discomfort next to him that he stopped it.

"Enough.... Now where were we?" Licking his lips once more Jaxo turned his attention to the curvy woman, sizing her up like a feast.

4. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Dr. Sophie Martins

"Enough.... Now where were we?"

Sophie ignored Jaxo and turned her attention to Bronco. She put her face in her palm and shook her head. “I’m guessing the steroids you obviously take shrunk your brain as well as your balls, hmm?” Bronco’s face convulsed with rage. He seethed from the mouth, spitting, “You little whore, I’m gonna-”

Sophie’s tongue rose like a dagger, “What, you’re going to beat a woman with that stick are you? Idiot.” His mouth dropped open as she cut him down again. Bronco bubbled with frustration, humiliation and confusion. He stood there, shaking in a fit of anger but voiced no comeback.

Sophie turned to Jaxo with a small smile and looked at his crooked nose, bald head and bloated belly. “I would have thought someone as strong and handsome as you would have surrounded themselves with intelligence, rather than dim-witted brutes.” Sophie signed off her words with a flirtatious wink. Bronco shook ever more violently, while Jaxo’s smile grew from ear to ear. “Bronco, I didn’t realised you get offended when someone feeds a donkey.” The other goons chuckled to themselves. “I’ll have to do that more often. Go patrol the back of the caravan you useless mutt before I gut you.” Bronco sneered at Sophie, who poked her tongue back, before he marched off.

Sophie swiftly moved over to the donkey owner and began treating him. He sat there motionless with a face of stone, eyeing Sophie with an intense gaze. “It’s alright, I’m a doctor.” Sophie said, offering a smile. The pleasantry was not returned, his eyes fixated with hers. He looked right into her soul and she felt fragile and naked, his unrelenting gaze burning into her. It would not end. Her eyes screamed at his, praying for him to stop.

“Need a hand?” Sophie broke her gaze and turned to see a silhouette figure standing in front of the beating sun. She squinted to reveal Samantha, smiling gently. Sophie took a deep breath, cooling her entire body. She smiled back at Samantha, beckoning her to the donkey owner’s side. As Samantha knelt, she gave a warming smile to the man, who in return gently nodded his head. Sophie noticed this, and felt the Sun’s presence ever more. His appreciation had made her more nervous. Was he judging me? Her mind festered with suspicious notions.

“Help me take off his chest piece.” Sophie said, indicating to the donkey owner’s Haori. The women removed it, revealing several bruises and cuts. “In my bag there’s some cotton wool and sterilised alcohol, grab that and get ready to dab his wounds.” While Samantha rummaged through the Bergen, Sophie rubbed her fingers along the victim’s ribs, checking for any breakages. Oddly enough, there were no fractures. Sophie’s speculation rose. Those kind of hits would break the average man, causing fractures, internal bleeding… Her thoughts trailed off. With her diagnosis done she was finally free to leave this unnerving patient.

Samantha began dabbing the donkey owner’s wounds, his stony walled face unmoved. Sophie moved back over to Jaxo, much to his delight. She remained quiet, still analysing the demeanour of the victim. “Are you all right?” Jaxo asked before poking Sophie, freeing her from her subconscious. “Yea, fine.” The words spilled from her mouth, before realising something far more disturbing. After all that had happened how could I had not seen this?

“Jaxo, we have a problem.” Sophie started. “I encountered some mutants on my way here.” Jaxo let out a small chuckle before responding, “Yes, there are many in this world. Awww, did the big, bad slime dogs scare you?” She stared at him unamused. “No, no. This is real. I encountered the most dangerous ones… the human ones.” Concern fell upon his face. “You saw Blood Ravagers!? You must know that it is suicide to travel at night?”

She turned away, shaken by her thoughts. “I know, but… but this was in the morning. The sun was beating down hard and their scales looked even sicklier in the day.” Finally, once the reality had set in, Sophie turned back, staring the leader dead in the eye, “They’re evolving Jaxo.”

5. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Naomi Resser

Naomi didn't get it, how the animals were talking. And they had said something about a master. Could it be something similar to the device she used to control Whisper and Timber? She wasn't sure, but she definitely agreed with the colonel. They had to leave before the animals decided to do something.

She drew her sword slowly and quietly, eyeing the colonel. She put a finger up to her mouth, making sure she had his attention. Finished drawing her sword, she waived Garter to go first, and Whisper slowly stood up, some of his hairs bristling.

Naomi backed away carefully, very quietly. She continuously glanced over her shoulder, keeping track of the path behind her. She didn't want to step on a stick or anything that might give them away.

"Whisper," she said very quietly, only loudly enough that his ears slightly twitched. "Go back and keep the rest of the caravan away. Growl, snarl, do anything, but keep them back."

The panther turned slowly, and briskly walked away, back towards the caravan. It was only when he was out of sight that Naomi remembered a lesson she had learned from her mother before the war started: look both ways.

The twig snapped under her foot, and both she and Garter looked down at it, as though staring might make the sound quieter. Then, a low growl came from the clearing they had just been watching. There was a bit of rustling, and then, from out of a bush, the orange and black face peered out.

"Prey."

6. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Jaxo and Samantha Hazel

“They’re evolving Jaxo.” Evolving? Those huminoid beings had already evolved into something...freaky, dangerous. How could they get any worse? Jaxo turned his back to the girls so they wouldn't see his fear. They had to do something. He scratched his chin nervously, trying to think. Give him gangsters with guns or cops with handcuffs and he'd laugh in their faces. But mutant humans with a blood thirst, that were now coming out during the day...well, all his bravado disappeared. He couldn't let those cannibales catch up and eat them. He spun back around a crazy look in his eyes.
    "We need to move! NOW! We won't stop for more than a 12 hours...anywhere! Not until we reach Asili."
    "Don't be stupid, Jaxo." Samantha stood abrubtly. She was already pretty angry that he had allowed Bronco to beat on an innoncent man just cause he wasn't American. "You need to calm down and think. Marching 12 hours a day and resting only 12 will kill us more slowly than any beast. What we need to do is arm everyone and teach them to protect themselves. I know that you and your goons are hording all the weapons you find. So give 'em up. Then mabye we can survive the trip to Asili."
    Jaxo glared angerly at her. She was right of course but he couldn't be seen letting a teenage girl boss him around. He backhanded her face and she staggered, falling into the asian man's lap.
    "I give the orders here! Not you! You would be wise to remember that. Now lets move!!" The caravan stood quickly and didn't even wait to see if the trio was following.

7. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Bee headed back towards her home. Nasty dogs. She hated the things, they scared her. Bee turned before reaching the house and headed towards the lake. Wading in a few feet she washed the blood and stink off of herself and took a drink before going back to the house. The fight had tired her. Teddy always seemed to use more energy than she did.

Her tummy grubled as she closed the door behind her. Bee remembered the fish she had caught and headed into the kitchen to find it. She was going through the cuboards when her ears picked up a quiet sound. It sounded like when the dogs panted, but...quieter. Concentrating she tried to find the source of the noise. It was comming from the metal box in the corner.

She approached the box slowly, her claws growing slightly incase Teddy needed to step in. As close as she dared she flipped the lid of the box open and peered inside. An odd site met her eyes. It wasn't a dog or a bear. The nearest thing Bee had seen to it was her reflection in the water. Bee yelped and leapt back, unsure how to react to this new creature.

The girl stood up slowly, looking Bee up and down. After crawling out of the metal box, she adjusted her clothes with shaking hands, and raised one into a wave.

"Hi. You are probably wondering what I was doing in there. I was only hiding from some dogs chasing me. I don't mean any harm," her voice grew hesitant, "Please don't hurt me."

Bee didn't move. What was this new creature? It looked like she did and could talk aswell. Bee moved forwards slightly.

"What are you?"

8. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Kyra Shade

"What are you?" The creature asked, moving towards her slightly. Up close, Kyra now saw the creature was actually a human girl, with a few exceptions. She had ears on the top of her head, claws, and pure yellow eyes that held a confused expression. One nice thing about the girl’s appearance was her brown hair that fell around her shoulders. It was dirty and had a bunch of split ends, but with a trim Kyra predicted it could look very beautiful.

Kyra slowly lowered the hand she had waved with, forcing a smile. What kind of question was that? Was this girl so isolated that she had never seen another person before? Maybe she had been shunned, or everyone was scared of her. That could easily be true, the girl was definitely unique. And, Kyra thought she was the exotic one, never to be outdone. Well, the day had come soon enough.

“I’m Kyra. A Homo Sapien, human like you. At least, that’s what my device says you are,” Kyra held up her phone, “I have been searching for several days for the other people in my caravan. I’ve heard some say there’s a place where I can live a new life, if only I could find the ones again that were trying to help me get there.”

Kyra studied the girl as she said these things. With the skills the girl possessed, maybe she’d be useful to her. But, she knew she’d have to gain her trust first.

“You have a name don’t you? What can I call you?

"B..Bee." She said timidly.

At the tone of the girls response, Kyra smiled for real.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you...Bee. I haven't seen another person in days, it's nice to have someone to talk to. This place...it's yours then. How did you find it? Every house I've come across is in pieces."