Tags:
  1. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Short Paragraphs

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Neoaptt, Feb 19, 2010.

I find that when i'm writing i sumetimes run into the problem where i am creating to short paragraphs. Or even parts.

It seems like i'm writing to little for a lot of content. I just don't know what is still part of the topic and what is part of the next topic.

So, what do i do to tell the diffrance. Or be able to train my mind to write about the same topic and not to jump to other ones. Sorta like curing ADHD. LOL!

2. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

A paragraph is a building block. Though they are commonly defined in terms of length such as five sentences or half a page, this is not the proper way of composing a paragraph. Think of them as a group of sentences, or even a single sentence, that composes a full unit. A full unit being your main idea or your entire paragraph.

The bottom line? You define what your paragraph is. If you continually try to write a minimum amount of words for each paragraph you are wasting your time. A paragraph is as short or as long as it needs to be to support your main idea. If your main idea switches then you start a new paragraph.

In journalism, for example, paragraphs can commonly be represented as single sentences. This is a style of writing, and it is not wrong nor is it the only way. It's right in its way because it follows the rules of paragraphs in which each paragraph supports a main idea.

Hope this helps.

Caleb

3. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

Sounds like you're coming across two different problems. As far as a set length goes, that was stated above. Now you mentioned that it seems like you are writing too little for a lot of content. If I am reading that correctly do you mean you aren't fleshing out your ideas enough?

Best, Whiskey

4. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

What exacly puts 2 ideas together then?

Like right now. I'm talking about the same subject though i'm in a new paragraph.

Or about how things seem to go together but are in dirrerent places?

eidt-

Yes, Thats true. I just can't seem to get my ideas down on paper. Or in my head to get onto paper. It's like i'm grasping at the air trying to get liquid.

5. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

A common idea or theme puts ideas together. As redundant as that sounds. Say I'm writing about....Koala bears.

Koala's are soft and fuzzy. They have a light gray coat of fur and around certain parts of their bodies they have white. Koala's eyes are dark in color. Blah blah more description blah blah blah. Etc on description of what they look like.

Now say I want to write about where Koala's live. I could start a new paragraph. My topic is Koala's but each paragraph is about a specific thing.

Get it?

Now about putting your ideas on paper. Well you just have to go through everything in your head and do your best to describe it. Write every tiny detail if you have to. Most of it will get tossed anyways. It's easier to write more and edit it out later than have to go back and add...in my opinion.

Best, Whiskey

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the various problems you're asking for advice on in several threads today, can all be dealt with by doing what i advised in my reply to one of them...

READ!

read CONSTANTLY!

read the best works by the best writers [doesn't = the most popular] of the genre you want to write in, and see/study how they do it...

7. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

As stated well by Whiskey your paragraphs support main ideas, but those main ideas though unique can follow a similar theme. The Koala Bear example is a good one.

When you end or begin a theme brings you into the world of scenes and chapters.

Caleb

Edit: Do take maia's advice as well. A lot of your questions are not going to spark a critical discussion because they stem from lack of experience. Reading and Google are your two best friends. :)

8. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

But i though i only had 1 friend.

THough you are right. And i have read a lot of books. I just don't know how to put them into format. If you know what I don't mean.

9. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

Reading and researching basically "rules of English" through Google together will help you with your own writing. Reading gives you experience while research gives you the education behind it.

Caleb

1 person likes this.
  10. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Wow. I got that... Your amazing! You made it so that i can get it!!!

Yes, i agree. That makes a lot o sense. Though since i don't know what i'm looking for i need a dictionary and someone to read it to me.

I am an audiory lissener. Not a mental noter. So i have to lissen to the notes that are taken. But then again. notes create a lack of emotion that most first person scripts have.

But then again, this has nothing to do with things about short paragraphs. Or does it? I guess depth is part of the paragraph. And a paragraph is part of a story. And a story is part of the imaganation.

Shutting up.