1. Slippery

Slippery New Member

Conjunction Observations

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Slippery, Apr 11, 2008.

In reviewing my recent piece, Oasis found that I began a lot of sentences with conjunctions, and made this comment.

After looking at my work, I could see what he was talking about, but I wanted to know exactly why the conjunctions were causing trouble, and so I kept searching, and I found this website.

http://www.gerrysch.com/cle/handbook/10_between_among_conjunctions.html

This is the part about conjunctions.
    This person says that it can get annoying, but he still doesn't say exactly why. But looking at this paragraph, I was able to discover it for myself.

When you begin a sentence with a conjunction, it's typically because that sentence is part of the same thought as the previous sentence. When you do this, though, you're creating a pause in the flow of information by putting ". But " in the middle of the thought. If you do this enough, the reader begins to feel a little jolt every time it happens. All you are really doing is making the reader stop when it isn't necessary.

I'm very excited about this, because I feel I've learned something very in-depth and technical about writing, so I wanted to share that with everyone. :)

2. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

:) Yeah. Like I said, not necessarily wrong anymore in literature, but I tend to think there are other ways to take it. :)

lol - The way I was always taught, it's for connecting the sentence, not starting them.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Very good observation Slip :D

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Yeah. Because that para about the but and and thing was a real pain. And really got to me. But if there were just less conjunctions in there it would've been good. And so, I guess I'm imitating it for no good reason. But it's fun.