1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Sir Nicholas Winton has died, caution, this thread might make you cry

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Jul 4, 2015.

Quoted from a post on the Straight Dope Forums by Boyo Jim:

There are more videos on Sir Nicky's life if anyone is interested.

I can't help but note the parallels in the book I'm reading, Orphan Train. Except here in the US many of the kids did not fare so well. People took in orphans essentially for slave labor.

Lemex and D'hai like this.
  2. D'hai

D'hai Member

Thanks for sharing this, I did not know about this amazing person and now I feel better for knowing he existed and what he has done for humanity not even bragging about it. His face at the end shouts: "I just did what felt right." These are the types of people that I would like to meet more examples of in current life, that do the right thing simply because it is the right thing not for money, social position, reputation or any other motive.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

This makes me think I really ought to go see that memorial statue of him at Hlavni Nadrazi (the main train station in Prague), considering I live in Prague. I actually don't even know which platform it's on...

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I've seen that video before, but it never hurts to see it again. :bigsmile: If ever someone deserved their OBE, it's him. :agreed:

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I thought about you being in Prague. I was curious if you'd heard of him before and what they thought of him there.

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I heard of him only thanks to Facebook actually. When I mentioned the name, my husband recognised it as someone who saved Jewish children, but only vaguely. I asked him just now if the Czechs have an opinion of Winton and he says he doesn't think most people actually know about him, and thus there's probably no general opinion of him either. However he tells me Winton was recently in Prague and met with their president, so he's certainly not completely unknown.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

That's a beautiful video. Things like that give me hope in dark times.

8. Torack

Torack New Member

That guy was awesome, and what he did is something to aspire to. If people talked about his death a little more, it could encourage others to emulate what he did and make the world a little better to live in.