1. Karson Eira

Karson Eira New Member

Puppet master

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Karson Eira, Oct 3, 2013.

This is my first post here and I was just curious as to what people would think of having my main characters best friend a creation and ultimatly a puppet of the main villain.

Basically my main character is not someone that is well liked but there is one person that does talk and hang out with him that he has known for years. This friend of his though is well liked by everyone and is even told to just leave the main characters side by other people that he knows. This friend stays with the main character though and is ultimatly eventuall "killed" by the villain only for the villain to use images and illusions of the friend later on to his advantage.

Does this sound like it could work if not can I know why. Andif so what do you think could be better about it

Thank you for your help.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Sounds good. Everyone will tell ideas mean nothing and by that they mean - enough talk start writing. Simply because nobody explaining
    an idea can judge how it will turn out - sort of like Dr. Seuss at a cocktail party asked what is he writing
    about - Oh a cat in a hat. Or George Lucas describing Star Wars in the 70's - there's this princess and two robots, and laser
    swords.
    The end result is the key, not the conception.
    Just be sure you've got a problem that needs solving - i.e. in Star Wars it was to defeat the baddies before the Death Star became fully operational.
    And a goal for your character - in Star Wars, Luke has tons of goals - to get off his home planet, to rescue the princess, to learn the force, to avenge Kenobi's death, to destroy the death star.

3. Dean Stride

Dean Stride Senior Member

In writing, everything is possible. There is no story, plot or narrative that cannot succeed if executed artfully. Ultimately, it all depends on you and what you're intending on exploring.

Since you asked how we think it could be better, here are my two cents:

For example, maybe you would want to explore the power of friendship and all of its conjoined cliches, but with an intriguing twist. In that case, you may focus more on the main character and his best friend, their relationship and how their bond stands the test of evil; maybe explore the psychological effects of losing all that matters, in which instance I would definitely use first person for a more intense and personal feeling of the narrative.

Perhaps you could challenge the protagonist's moral integrity; maybe he will dwindle between "right" and "wrong"; could even begin taking an expected direction, only to see himself tumble across the other.

What I would definitely not want to see is a demonized villain and a victim protagonist, not in this story. Blur the lines, switch them even, but avoid this at all costs. I see a lot of potential and it would be disappointing if it didn't surpass mediocrity.

4. killbill

killbill Member

Person close to the hero being used (by hook or by crook) to harm the hero by the villain. Done many times before and many writers succeeded in using this plot effectively. Why shouldn't it work for you?

On a different note, it's okay to feel insecure about the plot in your head. Is it going to work? What will others say? Well the only way to find out is by writing the story. So, you are only wasting time asking if a plot might work or not, because the only truthful answer to that is: it might work but it might also not work.

5. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

I think it's a great way to create an emotional climax. It's similar to a best friend turning bad-guy except in your story, the best friend is genuinely his best-friend. If I understand correctly, the best friend doesn't realize himself he's being used by the villain.

What the villain doesn't realize is that a best friend can bring out the best qualities in someone who's shy or not well liked. Even though the protagonist plays into the villain's hand in the end, he is a different person than before he met the best friend and has gained qualities and experiences that may somehow give him a fighting chance. The irony would be the protagonist overcoming the villain because of his friendship with the puppet.

That's just how I would write it anyway :oops: