1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Author freaking out over one star review

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Jack Asher, Jun 8, 2015.

This is why you really shouldn't respond to reviewer on publishing sites.
    http://archive.is/rFgtE

Edit: Dylan has been kicked off goodreads.com and his comments have all been removed, so here's links:
    http://static.businessinsider.com/image/526fd80aecad04c1228b4572/image.jpg
    https://behindstgrb.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/dylan_soccoccia_page2_reviewattack.jpg

And his response on goodreads
    https://behindstgrb.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/dylan_soccoccia_blog_1star_whine.jpg
    https://behindstgrb.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/dylan_soccoccia_page1_phybersreview.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

There goes a certain author's career. Wave good-bye while I play Nearer My God To Thee on my violin.

Seriously, if I were ever a published author and I saw a bad review, and I simply HAD to reply, I'd just say, "I hope you find something you like, that's really the important thing about life. Find what you like and forget the things that displeases you." If the review broke down exactly what was wrong, I'd say, "This is very vital information. I thank you immensely, I'll go over my work now with this in mind and spot the errors. Again, thank you very much. - The Author"

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

That author. What a fucking mammy's boy.

I've ever heard of him before, and now I'll never read him. All because his attitude with his audience is awful. That's not how a professional anything should act, never mind a professional writer - someone who is self employed and basically all about self-promotion. Unless you are some kind of Thomas Pynchon or something, who doesn't need to go on book tours because you are just that awesome.

4. Phil Partington

Phil Partington Member

Yikes. Yeah, he comes across as whiny and his rants only serve to bring weight to the one-star review. Had he ignored it, most probably would've ignored it too or regarded it and not given it much more of a thought. As it is, now it's all I'm thinking about lol.

5. Phil Partington

Phil Partington Member

Also, if you're going to say your book is like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones, etc., you'd better be able to back it up.

6. Lemex

If it's poorly written nonsense, you'll not need to work hard to back that up.

Sorry, sorry, I've not bashed Potter in some time. It's like it's an entry I need to tick on a list of monthly things to do.

7. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

8. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Just from the excerpts I can see how constipated that is. Somebody's trying too hard to get that sweet, sweet Pulitzer.

9. Lemex

Thank christ that reviewer included quotations from the book! 'poorly written nonsense' indeed! I totally called it. :D

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I just fuckin' love when a person's pissed-off factor hits that certain point where, not unlike David Banner, they transform, but instead of becoming The Hulk, they turn into The Amateur Attorney.

If you're not an attorney, don't try and speak in legalese. Seriously. Don't. Where I lived in The South, constantly speaking in misused legalese was the mark of someone likely to get a spot on Maury Povich.

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

It's too bad the author flipped his shit over that. Any respect I had (not a lot) is now totally gone. Sure it stings, but having a pissing contest where you think the author abused you makes you a fool and leaves you with no readers. he just sabotaged his own career.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

If I ever had the urge to reply it would go something like, 'stop whining your cunt. If you don't like it, write your own shit!'

I'm not pretentious enough to reply, though, and I'm a firm believer in freedom of speech. :p

13. Lemex

I just love it when someone is so mad, they end up being everything they are being criticized for. :D

14. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

It's like a trainwreck.
    You don't want to see it but you keep scrolling down to see the damage.
    And then you realize the train was filled with bunnies.
    Bunnies on fire.
    Who run home to hug their kids but the fire catches and kills the whole family.

Also, besides the author arguing stupidly, anyone notice the kind of language he uses and what his opinions on the world are?
    He's like one of them "free-thinkers" who's just a hipster talking about "life, y'know? Government, man. The government..."

15. Lemex

'I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative.' *tips fedora and rides off into the sunset*

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Wreybies

Yeah, in a fit of morbid curiosity I continued reading and watched this guy dig himself deeper and deeper in the Pit of Pretentiousness. I mean, either Poe's Law needs to be applied to the paradigm or what a

[​IMG]

Oscar Leigh and Lemex like this.
  17. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

When he comes out with things like,

'what you're doing in the bigger picture is waging war on the consciousness of humanity'

I worry that the guy might not be well.

18. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

What an idiot. Everyone knows the proper response to a one-star review is the Seshat Ritual of Summoning, whereby the aspect of the Egyptian goddess of writing can be employed to set a plague on the reviewer. Just make sure you have both the palm stem and at least three hayt worth of knotted cord, because I tried the summoning with just the palm stem and let me tell you, it was not pretty.

19. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Now we'll never know how many missing children cases Tales of Onora could have prevented.

MockingJD, Ippo and Lilly James Haro like this.
  20. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

That's fine with me, I'm pretty sure I fall in that category too :p
    The difference is whether you understand what you're talking about and whether it's all based on actual facts or just holistic mumbo-jumbo to sell your wild herbs for 75$ to cure the "contamination" from you...

21. Wreybies

See, people? This is how to handle your shit. :agreed::-D

22. Lemex

Someone give me a shovel so I can dig this guy out of his Pit of Pretentiousness. So I can beat him over the head with said shovel. :D

23. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  24. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

A pity if so, once you join the capitalist gang and leave -- even on account of a jolt -- you can never return, or you have to explain your failed destiny as a true fighter of evil through SFF writing. Something like that anyways, it was on an organized crime show.

Oscar Leigh and Wreybies like this.
  25. Wreybies

I will say this... People really need to get with the idea that internet behavior is a beast unto itself, and it doesn't matter what we think of it, it doesn't matter that it's ugly, it doesn't matter that it answers to mob-rule and it shouldn't. None of that has any effect on the autonomous reality of the thing. If your thing goes viral, for good or for bad, get ready to be tossed to the current, untethered and directionless, without an oar or a rudder.

This is by no means the first thread like this we've seen and it won't be the last. For real-real, not for play-play. It happens. If you go out of your way to look for it - like this monkey wrench did - woe be unto you, for you did ask and thus received.