Tags:
  1. King_Horror

King_Horror Member

Am I a Bad Guy if...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by King_Horror, Jul 27, 2016.

I like seeing cuties get killed? I define "cuties" as any character that wants nothing more than to pet puppies, and be comic relief. Those kinds of characters that make you root for them, adore them, and love them. And, as dark as it might seem, I just get a kind of...excitement from seeing those kinds of characters in literature dying!

Apparently, TV Tropes has a certain trope about this technique: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillTheCutie

Is there something wrong with me?

2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Maybe, I don't know... but then I like seeing the fall arc and stories with a tragic ending. People becoming evil and doing evil things for some reason gets me excited. This is why I the end of Star wars episode 3 even though I don't really like the rest of the prequels.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. U.G. Ridley

U.G. Ridley I'm a wizard, Hagrid

All human beings have some things we respond to that are inherently bad, but they don't really make us bad. You could also just ask the question "Am I a bad guy for liking violent movies and video games?" The answer to that is no. It's just something a lot of us respond to and enjoy consuming for some reason. Your thing is pretty much the same deal, only more specific, but the same thing applies.

It's the same with crazy fetishes. When we hear about people who have them, we often respond by thinking "What the fuck is wrong with that person?!" But they aren't actually doing anything morally wrong, and neither are you. Bad guys do bad things. Good guys do good things and occasionally respond to some weird and fucked up shit. That's just the way it is to be human. We're weird.

BayView and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  4. King_Horror

King_Horror Member

Huh, alright then.

5. Darby_Path

Darby_Path New Member

I love the bad guys. Specifically I enjoy the characters like Walter Peck from Ghostbusters. He wasn't evil but he handled everything all wrong.

Those characters are so cool to me.

King_Horror likes this.
  6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

They're fictional characters. If you liked watching actual people that fit with your definition of “cuties” dying, then yeah, something would be wrong with you.

But fictional characters? As my creative writing teacher once said, paraphrased, “Anything goes, do whatever you want to your characters, even children. Just don't hurt the poor animals.” There's nothing wrong with you.

King_Horror likes this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Nah, that is nothing.
    When you start having fantasies about a blood thirsty death squad going on a rampage in your little redneck religious town killing everything that walks on two legs for the fun of it, then you might be a bad guy.
    To be fair there are the less evil days when a tactical nuke or fuel air bombardment would be just as good, but not as exciting and over entirely too quickly.
    Yeah, I got issues, but it is because they all put up a facade, so my guilt level is about a 1 maybe a 1.5. That and not that community has been overly kind to me.

So no you aren't a bad guy for wanting/liking the sugary sweet plucky comic relief character getting killed. :supergrin:

Iain Aschendale and King_Horror like this.
  8. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

There's a simple metric to tell how evil you are when killing your 'cuties'.

(Amount of struggle) X (closeness / assumption of success) ^ (Pain in death sequence) = How evil you are / how much you need therapy.

ie Gollum rotted away for hundreds of years, stalked around trying to find the ring, and when he finally had it in his hands, melted alive in a volcano.

Tolkien was a sick dude.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That is cute about Gollum, but there are way worse ways to burn alive. There is at least one that does not require fire or acid. :p

10. cydney

cydney Banned

No. :) Have the bad guys given up yet?

Think HARD.