1. markdienekes

markdienekes New Member

Kindle Formatting

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by markdienekes, Sep 24, 2013.

Hello. I'm formatting my book for publication on amazon kindle, only, I've used tab in my word document (well, staroffice word document) for indenting paragraphs, which, according to the kindle formatting guide, kindle doesn't recognise. Any idea how to correct this mistake in an efficient manner that isn't going to take all day, hehe?

I'm not very good when it comes to computers, and I've been trying to make sense of a few guides, but I am thoroughly confused.

Thanks for your time and any help you can offer.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

tabbing is not recommended for indents...

when setting up your blank page format for work you intend to submit, you need to move the top little arrow on the left of the page's top ruler to the right, leaving it at the half-inch point... that will automatically indent every time you end a paragraph and hit the 'enter' key...

since you've already indented 'by hand' i don't know how you can convert it easily... hopefully someone here will know... or you can see if it's covered in your 'help' menu...

3. markdienekes

markdienekes New Member

No worries, mammamaia, I believe (or, rather, hope) that I've successfully done it. I just selected the lot and aligned left. For some reason (still unknown to me), it still kept paragraphs, and came up okay on the kindle preview. Thanks for your time!

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Once you've done that, set the indent in the paragraph settings. Also, don't use spaces to create page breaks. Just insert a page break manually where you want them to be. Personally, I've found the best way to get the formatting you want is to save as HTML and then go through and pull out all of the extraneous tags you don't want.